cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loadbaluncing across unequal cost multipath using ospf and cef.

exane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to load balance my trafic across two unequal cost multipath (2Mbs and 4 Mbs). We have four routers(2600 and 3600) wich interconnect our sites and two unequal bandwidth lines (2Mbs and 4 Mbs). I would like to share trafic in 1/3 and 2/3 proportion. The routing protocol we use is OSPF. Can somebody help !

Thanks a lot

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

I guess you cannot do unequal bandwidth loadsharing with OSPF. Even if you try to have the same cost for both the links full load balancing will not be achieved because the 4Mb link will be under utilized. One method to achieve unequal bnadwidth load sharing is by using EIGRP as the routing protocol which supports this feature. Or with OSPF what you could do is to do Policy based routing and route traffic via both the links.

View solution in original post

vm612
Level 1
Level 1

Use EIGRP as suggested by wong...., you will need to use the "variance (x)" command as well, increase till you see the routes in the eigrp routing table.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

I guess you cannot do unequal bandwidth loadsharing with OSPF. Even if you try to have the same cost for both the links full load balancing will not be achieved because the 4Mb link will be under utilized. One method to achieve unequal bnadwidth load sharing is by using EIGRP as the routing protocol which supports this feature. Or with OSPF what you could do is to do Policy based routing and route traffic via both the links.

I've been looking into similar functionality and thus far, it looks like this newer Optimal Edge Routing (OER)looks promising. You may want to do some research adn evaluation in that direction.

vm612
Level 1
Level 1

Use EIGRP as suggested by wong...., you will need to use the "variance (x)" command as well, increase till you see the routes in the eigrp routing table.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card