Views
Helpful
Replies

Log Routing Table Changes

ksbolton1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

Is there any way for me to log when the routing table changes? Or log when a specific route is no longer in the routing table? I'd like to have an alert telling me when that route is no longer present. Perhaps via SNMP or even syslog. 

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the device model and code running.

you can do use EEM Script / or outof the box you can use any scripting language like perl or python to do if you have coding knowledge or use RANCID popular and available free.

EEM reference

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/eem-script-to-report-routing-table-change/td-p/1877351

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the reply, Balaji.

The devices are ISR1941 running 15.4(3)M3 and later, and an ASA 5520 running 8.4(3).

Hmm, Python is a field I've dabbled in. I'm wondering how I'd write a script to constantly monitor the routing table and then alert me when it changes. It seems like I'd have to pull the routing table contents at regular intervals and then have the script check for changes in the output. I assume there's a better way than what I've described. 

I considered EEM but the ASA will not be able to handle that and I'd want to monitor the routes at each of my branches.

can you post the topology and how is ASA confiured ? dynamic routing protocol ?

another question, why this routing table changes ? any manual intervention  ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: