cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Cisco 3G Router with modem emulation

djhugovic
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a hardened Cisco 3G router with modem emulation. Does anybody know which Cisco router is able to fullfill this task?

Extra information:

We have for about 200 small remote sites in the Netherlands where old PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) have been installed for monitoring the water level. These PLC's are not able to communicate via TCP/IP and therefor we want to place a 3G router near the PLC. We want to setup a socket to the 3G router, which on its turn needs to enable a "serial port" (Ring, ring), hardware signals like DCD. The router will be situated in small cabinets near the water. The temperature will be above '0' at any time with special heating elements, but it can be a bit dusty inside, so a hardned router is neccessary.

Our customer is now using Sarian HR4110 routers for this purpose: http://raaf.aaacommunication.eu/images/DATASheets/hr4110.pdf

If anybody has a suggestion, please let me know.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like the 819.

Hi,

Go with Cisco 881G, it suites for you.
I have this router for one of my customer and running 3G.
For your information the following version what i have currently "c880data-universalk9-mz.124-22.YB2.bin"
Please let me know if you need any more informaiton regarding configuration.

Hope the above clear and understand you.
Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Dear sir,

I have small issue if could help please,,,,,

I have a new 8881G-w router with the following info:

(C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(22)YB2, Serial

when I tried to login  to the Cellular interface it shows me the following warning- (what it means):

Warning: 3G Modem is not inserted

Configuration will not be effective until modem is inserted..

I have upgrade the ios to c880data-universalk9-mz.153-1.T_2.bin,,, but still shows the same warning..

thanks in advance.

djhugovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Does anybody know if the 819 router provide a version where you can setup the described problem of modem emultion? One of the most important features that needs to be established is that I can open a socket to the router and the router does real modem emulation with hardware signals and the "ring ring" signal.

@Latchum Naidu. The 800 series routers can be an option for our DSL variants, but not for our 3G locations, because of it's size. Is an 800 series router available with serial (also modem emulation) port?

Kind regards Jeroen

All the routers are pretty much the same when it comes to the serial AUX port. You can test that first in a lab with a sample router.

Dea Paolo, how are you and hope you are in a good heath..

I have a new 8881G-w router with the following info:

(C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(22)YB2,

when I tried to login  to the Cellular interface it shows me the following

warning- (what it means):

Warning: 3G Modem is not inserted

Configuration will not be effective until modem is inserted.

I only need to confiure CDMA,, is the 3G card needed, as i know 3G is needed

for GSM???

thanks

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Jeroen,

881G may be a good solution here, unless the room is *extremely* dusty.

However, since you need to deploy ~200 routers, I suggest you to contact your local Cisco Account Team, to evaluate together the tech requirements and find the right product for you.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Marco

djhugovic
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your responses. The 819 looks ok for the wireless solution. I am going to contact a local Cisco company for more detailed information about this router.

Kind regards

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

We should be able to hook you up with Cisco and start a test/proof of concept.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

jamiegrive
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you get the hardened edition 819H as it comes with better dust protection (including interface caps) and better heatsink etc)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card