Views
Helpful
Replies

Loop cycle in hubs

halmulla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am teaching student on networking using packet tracer. I came through some thing that I am trying to figure out.

When I create a loop using hubs the last added connection is getting disabled (down). My questions:

1- How the loop cycle get detected in hubs?

2- Is that applied on real hub devices?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Hello,

2 questions.

1.) What are you connecting? Is it just 1 hub to itself or Hubs and switches. If the hub is connecting to the switch and the port is being disabled most likely it's the switch that's doing the disabling as it's the one that detected the switch.

2.) Are you sure you're connecting a Hub in Packet Tracer and not some other type of switch?

Keep in mind that packet tracer is a simulator and doesn't have the full functionality of equipment it represents. Maybe in PT the hub does detect a loop because it would run up resources and crash the program if a loop was introduced in a program that simulates network devices.  So, it could be a safety mechanism implemented

Hope that helps

-David

hubloopcycle.png

This is what I am doing.

Like I said, not sure if PT limits the loops (even if a real network would have it) to preserve resources since its only a simulator. Try adding switches and disabling spanning-tree.

Property Heads
Level 1
Level 1

Unlocking the Loop Cycle and Properties To Rent in Basildon Essex: PropertyHeads, your ultimate guide to seamlessly connect with top-notch estate agents, tradespeople, and property professionals. Elevate your property experience with the fastest-growing property community in the UK!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card