cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback configs with EIGRP /32 advert caused Jabber symptom. Cause?

Hello.

We had an incident in which, after manually configuring about 20 new loopback interfaces, some of the network lost Jabber audio connectivity (calls were still able to connect.)
When we shut all the new loopback interfaces, the symptom disappeared. Very strange to me!
Now we are hesitant to re-insert these simple configs.

QUESTION: What could have caused this symptom?
---

ADDITIONAL DATA...

-All 10.x.x.x routes have at least /8 explicit subnet masks.

-No devices were reloaded during incident.
-Most if not all EIGRP devices have explicit router-IDs configured.
-SolarWinds monitoring server reported no events.
-----

The generic config implemented on all devices (unique new /32 interface on each different device.)...

conf t
int loopback77
ip address 10.100.5.5 255.255.255.255

router eigrp 1
network 10.100.5.5. 0.0.0.0
-----

I did make some small misconfig errors, that I quickly remediated, such as...
Router1(config)# router eigrp 1
network 10.100.5.5 255.255.255.255
no network 10.100.5.5 255.255.255.255
network 10.100.5.5 0.0.0.0

!! ...and... !!

Router2(config)#router eigrp 1
Router2(config)#network 10.100.9.9 0.0.0.0
!! I realized this device had not been running EIGRP at all. so... !!!
Router2(config)#no router eigrp 1
-----

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

We may need more information. You mention only some of the network lost Jabber audio. You culd try adding the loopbacks into EIGRP one at a time and see if the issue pops up again. You said most of your EIGRP neighbors have RIDs configured. Of the ones that were did they change RIDs and have to reconverge? Di you have users try to reconnect their calls after you implemented the changes and the network dropped audio?

Did adding the new EIGRP router cause more routing convergence?

I would start adding a loopback into the network one at a time making sure the EIGRP RID is configured. If while you're doing that the audio drops again then have the customer restart their program or application and try again. Watch the router for any errors or logs while doing this.

These are just some preliminary steps to take to see what happens.

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

We may need more information. You mention only some of the network lost Jabber audio. You culd try adding the loopbacks into EIGRP one at a time and see if the issue pops up again. You said most of your EIGRP neighbors have RIDs configured. Of the ones that were did they change RIDs and have to reconverge? Di you have users try to reconnect their calls after you implemented the changes and the network dropped audio?

Did adding the new EIGRP router cause more routing convergence?

I would start adding a loopback into the network one at a time making sure the EIGRP RID is configured. If while you're doing that the audio drops again then have the customer restart their program or application and try again. Watch the router for any errors or logs while doing this.

These are just some preliminary steps to take to see what happens.

-David

This is the practical strategy that needs now to be executed. I agree. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: