cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

making an E1-FXS interface system for dial-up

ali6359
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco AS5300 RAS for dial-in and i am planing to connect the E1 line to something that takes the E1 signal and interfaces it to FXO, which connects to my PABX and to my client. my question is is what cards are required on the 2600xm to acheive the signaling from E1 to FXO? i would also like the config to get the equipment working.

31 Replies 31

Hello Ali,

according to the seller web store the product can act as Central Office ISDN switch between two ISDN BRI interfaces.

see below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merge-ISDN2000AFP-ISDN-Basic-Rate-Interface/382433358181?hash=item590acdf165:g:8bAAAOSww1hazRgk

>>

i do have a cisco 3825 with digital modems can i get a bri network module and use that?

you can use it with a BRI ISDN interface instead of the analog FXS line and if you find an ISDN BRI module for the AS5300.

>> also, to convert the bri from the switch to fxs, what do i need?

As already explained the PSTN FXS needs to be connected to a PSTN switch so you would need a device that performs both roles ISDN switch and PSTN switch and I am afraid it is not a cheap one as we have seen in a previous post.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ok thats much better. ill experement with my 3825 router as i can find the bri card cheaply. ill make an offer for the emulator and ill probaly find a way for the bri-fxs signaling. im not sure but does the cisco 766, for example acheive the bri-fxs? because the bri emulator done its job, what about using a router with bri and fxs card?

been a long time. i just recently scored an amazing product, a Digium G100 T1/E1/PRI to SIP/VoIP gateway for only $10!!! this is going to be connected to my AS5300 server and ill use my Cisco SPA-122 as the analog gateway connected to my modem. i assigned a 1800 number on the G100 gatway so when i call from the ATA, the calls would be free.

Anyways, my AS5300 needs some configuration. can you walk me through the configuration of the server? i am only intrested in 1 client connecting to the server as i am the only one connecting to the server. also, what do i have to do so the server is V.92 capable? i have the config on text, i backed it up when i first got it. seems like ive erased the AS5300 while trying out some changes but luckly, ill provide the text. the server came from a university and i dont need alot of the lines in the config. can you go through and eliminate what is not needed and also guide me with various other stuff?

i know VOIP is not good for modems but for $10, its better than +$3000 for actual E1-FXS switching gear.

ive been relying  on https://docstore.mik.ua/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_serv/5300/sw_conf/sw_conf/5300bk.pdf

for a walkthrough on how to set up the AS5300 for dial access. ive folowed the  System Configuration Dialog method but during the progress, there was no options for setting up the ASYNC. when i try to configure it manualy from the text file i have, i get this: 

00:08:24: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#interface Group-Async1

the config is found in the text file. the problem is in the group range setting

Router(config-if)# group-range 1 60
                                                 ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

what could be going on?

i also still have my 3825 router with digital modems but no pri card yet. when the router boots, it shows there are 6 terminal lines, because of the digital modem only having one MICA card. my AS5300 is fully populated with MICA's and it shows nothing on the RAS. ill wait for the PRI card to arrive so i can work on the 3825 and ill see the progress.

Hello Alì,

verify what are the real range of async lines on your AS5300

try with

show line

The error message should mean that you have less async ports in your device

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Router#sh line
Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise Overruns Int
* 0 CTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
1 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
2 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
3 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
4 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
5 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -
6 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

it got messed up when pasting but you get the idea

Hello Ali,

you need to initialize the modems in order to make their corresponding lines to appear.

Follow the procedure on pag 62 of the pdf document you have provided.

You should see the modem related lines as TTY after the initial configuration in the output of show line.

Here you have only the console, the auxiliary port and the VTY that are used for remote telnet/SSH to the device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

the RAS dosent let me enter my country...

Router(config)#modem country mica australia
                                   ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config)#

Hello Ali,

verify what type of modems you have, if you have microcom modems you should use the following command

5300(config)# modem country microcom_hdms
country name

Also the config guide is related to IOS 12.02(XD) check with

show version

what IOS is running on your device. The command might tell you also the type of modems if they are seen.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

they are MICA's. version 12.2(7b)

whats weird is the config i have on TXT was actally backed up from the RAS, and now alot of the commands dosent work on it. probally the corrosion on the circuit board created some damage. thats not good. ill try to fix it, as i do have electrical knownedge.

ill work with my Cisco 3825, still waiting for my PRI card to come though. a replacement circuit card for the AS5300 MICA modules are hard/expensive to find.

the corroded part is actually the chip which is resting on the chip socket. the socket pins are badly damaged. i removed it and during the process, the pins fell out like nothing. somehow some liquid got in but i dont know. so the AS5300 is dead :( what a shame

so i got my PRI card. problem is that i have some problems when trying to config the system. system is Version 15.1(4)M10. the article for configuring the AS5300 is usefull but there are small difrances that make me stuck at trying to program the system. i am not sure what is required on the configuration but mabye can you provide some config or documents on programing the router with my NM-30DM and the E1/T1 pri card as a dial in RAS?

after searching for various articles, ive managed to config the router but calls are not being picked up. anything wrong with the config?

3825#sh conf
Using 1870 out of 491512 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 10:41:14 UTC Tue Sep 10 2019
version 15.1
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 3825
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
card type e1 2
!
no aaa new-model
!
no network-clock-participate slot 2
!
modem country mica e1-default
dot11 syslog
ip source-route
!
!
!
ip cef
!
!
no ipv6 cef
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
!
isdn switch-type primary-net5
!
voice-card 0
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
crypto pki token default removal timeout 0
!
!
!
!
license udi pid CISCO3825 sn FHK1352F12W
username ali password 0 1234
!
redundancy
!
!
controller E1 2/0
pri-group timeslots 1-30
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Loopback0
ip address 172.16.187.254 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.0.156 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
!
interface Serial2/0:15
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
dialer rotary-group 1
isdn switch-type primary-net5
isdn incoming-voice modem
!
interface Dialer1
ip unnumbered Loopback0
encapsulation ppp
ppp authentication chap pap
!
interface Group-Async1
ip unnumbered Loopback0
encapsulation ppp
ip tcp header-compression
peer default ip address pool default
async mode dedicated
no keepalive
ppp authentication chap pap
group-range 1/0 1/29
!
ip local pool default 172.16.187.1 172.16.187.30
ip forward-protocol nd
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
!
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
!
!
mgcp profile default
!
!
!
!
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line 1/0 1/29
login local
modem Dialin
rotary 1
transport input telnet
autoselect during-login
autoselect ppp
line vty 0 4
login
transport input all
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco