cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ME 3800X | Bridge Domain Limit

TrivialPants
Level 1
Level 1

We have setup where we are using a bridge-domain interface to connect to different CPEs through our ME3800. The BDI is setup on say BDI3 and we receive on different ports with different encapsulations/vlans, then strip the incoming tags off and place them into the bridge-domain 3. This allows the traffic to see the BDI3 as the default gateway. The 3800X is running a DHCP server as well on that same subnet.

We have noticed a problem that is keeping us from adding more bridge-domain 3 statements to the router. We can add different bridge-domains, but are unable to add this one. Is there a limit to how many global bridge-domain counts we can have on all the interfaces? The incoming encapsulation is different and they are separated by different ports and on the ports where we have the same bridge-domain applied, they have different encapsulation and service instances. 

Here is the error message I am getting:

GigabitEthernet0/10 service instance 6: Unable to add to bridge-domain 3

If I remove the bridge-domain from another port (that I am not currently using, I suppose it doesn't matter what port I do it on) then I am able to add the bridge-domain to the port. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

this document reports: The switches support up to 8000 bridge domains on the highest end platform and license.

and also: 

• On the ME 3800X switch, the number of bridge domains that you can configure depends on the license that is installed on the switch

–  The metro services licenses support 4000 bridge domains.

–  The metro IP services licenses support 2000 bridge domains.

–  The metro aggregation services license supports 4000 bridge domain and the scaled version supports 8000 bridge domains.

- All licenses support a maximum of 64 EFPs per bridge domain.

is this the information you seek?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

this document reports: The switches support up to 8000 bridge domains on the highest end platform and license.

and also: 

• On the ME 3800X switch, the number of bridge domains that you can configure depends on the license that is installed on the switch

–  The metro services licenses support 4000 bridge domains.

–  The metro IP services licenses support 2000 bridge domains.

–  The metro aggregation services license supports 4000 bridge domain and the scaled version supports 8000 bridge domains.

- All licenses support a maximum of 64 EFPs per bridge domain.

is this the information you seek?

Sorry to reply a bit late to this. I got a count of the EFPs in the bridge-domain. It does equal 64 currently. 

That is the issue! Thanks so much! 

I have moved a new /26 over on a separate bridge-domain. I can add a new service instance with the new bridge-domain, and I am keeping the 64 EFP limit in mind.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: