cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory specs for cisco 2911 ISR with using ibgp

miked
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to make sure I get what I need the first time. I will have two routers from disparate networks facing the Internet. I will have a public ASN as well as full routes.

Thanks for the help in advance.

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Full routes on a 2911 ??? Beside the memory issue, what is the requiremt for full routes ???

Customer request is the requirment I guess. I'm trying to get them into a more data center type platform, this is the device they want to source out. So, the memory specs (cost and feasability) is the info to solidify the 2911 or not.

Any idea what the memory specs would be for a 2911 with full BGP routes?

Customer request is wrong then. You can certainly fit table in memory, problem is router will spend most of his time uncessarily processing updates.

It is not like 15 yrs ago when there were only 1 or 2 updates per second.

Full routes are required only when doing transit or few other specific situations.

miked
Level 1
Level 1

Any router running full BGP routes is going to be updating all the time. I'm fully aware of what you are saying.

Again, any idea what the memory specs for a 2911 with full BGP routes would be?

I'm looking for the spec so I can get the cost to them as a solidifier.

You also need to specify how many peers a router will have.

Their will be two routers and each router will have only one upstream peer.

Hello Mike,

memory specs for 2900 series are 512 MB to 2 GB of RAM

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

as Paolo has noted you can have enough memory to handle the BGP table (use of C3845 with 512 MB has been reported by other colleagues).

I agree that cpu power may be the bottleneck.

Without testing this platform in a lab it would be a risk to deploy it, in other words you are going to use a router that has not been probably tested by Cisco for this job.

The first safe choice would be a 7206 VXR with NPE G2 and 2GB of RAM, that is also a good choice for a route reflector server.

Having only one iBGP session and one eBGP session can help, but what if later another ISP is added?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The 7200 series is the data center platform I've suggested to him but he's one of these "I'll see what

I can find on my own" guys. So, while he may not understand the risk of the cpu issue and creating a notwork instead of a network, the cost of the memory should open his eyes...especially when buying into a risk.

Thanks guys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card