cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki MX - built-in cellular/4G support

brian.k.clarke
Level 5
Level 5

I was given informed via a Cisco AE a few months ago that Meraki was “soon” coming out with an MX model with built-in cellular/4G support, whereby you wouldn’t need a 3rd-party USB-connected solution (via CradlePoint, etc.).  I was hoping it’d be announced at Cisco Live in June (no), and I’ve heard nothing since, so I’m hoping someone on your team can provide a roadmap for when this may be available.

One particular customer is looking to roll out 20+ mobile units w/ Meraki MX in the next couple months, and they’ve piloted the requirements using the 3rd-party cellular. We’re hoping for built-in support to simplify the solution if that’ll be possible in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone have insight into availability for this?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies 8

Hello,

I have done some extensive searching but could not find a single announcement regarding built in 4G support for Meraki MX. Who is Cisco AE ? Did the rep supply any supporting documentation, or was it just a rumor ?

His resources haven't been divulged. :)  That said, he made it sound as if support for this wouldn't be until at least late this year if not next. I was posting here in the hopes of finding any additional insight.

Hello

The latest range of MX 's all show USB cellular support and no built in feature., This is not to say its isn't coming but at this time it doesn't seem to be supported.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances#models

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Normally, Meraki doesn't talk much about roadmaps, and if they do, you don't know if it really comes (AnyConnect?, MC outside the US?).

Personally, I like the solution with the external USB-Stick. I don't like to place my MX where the cellular reception is best, but with a good USB-cable, I can place the LTE-dongle where the signal is strong.

I agree with this approach (flexibility of placing the antenna strategically), but this particular use case will have everything (the MX, all wired/wireless devices) in a vehicle/mobile unit.

They're simply hoping to reduce some cost in not having to use the 3rd-party external stuff.

brian.k.clarke
Level 5
Level 5

Looking at that it is still via usb or car 5 modem 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So, I got some feedback directly from Meraki -

The “C” variants have integrated antennas, so nothing extra is needed - everything comes in the box. Also, a new carrier/plan wouldn't be required as long as the MX-C is a supported/certified for the carrier the customer is using. (Evidently T-Mobile isn't currently supported.)  A new SIM card might be required due to the "C" appliances using a nano-SIM.

FYI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: