cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Merit of using VWIC-1/2MFT-G703

makoto.tona
Level 1
Level 1

I still don't understand the merit of using the VWIC-1MFT-G703 instead of using the VWIC-1MFT-E1.

I know that the difference between those two above is that the former can support unstructured E1.

But in that case, the only advantage I can think of is that you can utilize the space of TS0 of E1 frame for real data or payload (is this true?) while structured E1 have to use the TS0 for framing.

But if my assumption above is correct, you only can save the bandwidth of 64kbps.

In my perception, most local carriers in Europe have only unstructured E1 services instead of channelized E1, but in that case,

I believe you can still utilize VWIC-1MFT-E1 for those services because carriers' unstructured E1 WAN services don't care whether customer's traffic is structured or unstructured.

Please kindly let me know if my understanding above is correct.

I am asking this because I am working in a Japanese carrier in Tokyo, and sometimes we have to provide CE routers at the other end of international IP-VPN circuits.

Many of our colleagues have been choosing VWIC-1MFT-G703 as a precautionary measure with extra cost,

but I wish to clarify the points above this time!

Best regards,

Makoto

1 Reply 1

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you choose G703 you are expecting the carrier co to provide an NTE with 75 Ohm Coax connections

If you use the VWIC-1MFT-E1 version then you are expecting the carrir co to provide a 120 Ohm 4 wire (2 pair)

twisted pair interface with RJ45 (RJ48 if voice)

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card