cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Method to achieve DMVPN dynamic routing to spoke external IP w/o using default route?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Working to replace hub-and-spoke (router-to-router) individual VPN tunnels (GRE/IPSec or VTI) with DMVPN but without using default-route.  Default-route doesn't lead to the next-hop the hub should use for  spokes.  With individual tunnels, had individual statics for each spoke.

I know what the next hop should be for spokes; trying to determine if there's any way to leverage what's in the NHRP cache to direct external IPs in it to the next hop.

Anyone solved this or have suggestions?

5 Replies 5

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So what you trying to achieve or improve ?

The spoke in anyway will register with hub either it is static or dynamic ip

If you have route to reach

Each of the

Hub and spokes and igp over the DMVPN cloud then should work even without default route if u do not need it

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"So what you trying to achieve or improve ?"

No "touch" hub configuration as spokes are added or withdrawn.

Support for spokes using dynamic external IP addresses.

"If you have route to reach

Each of the . . ."

Yes, within the IGP routing is fine, issue is, external tunnel endpoints need to be routable too.  If you have explicitly defined routes for the external spoke tunnel IPs, then its something that has to be "touched" on the hub, also unable to define a static if I don't know what the spoke's tunnel IP is (i.e. is dynamic).

PS:

Four possible approaches I've been looking at, if unable to take direct advantage of the NHRP cache, include:

Some form of PBR.  Haven't figured out a way, if there is one, to utilize it.

Dynamic VTI rather than DMVPN.  This might work but Cisco's documentation is a bit sparse.

Placing the DMVPN routing into a different VRF.  Should allow me have a dedicated default route for this VRF, but then need to redistribute routes between VRFs (two way because will have two hubs).

Since OSPF is IGP, also considered using different area, but topology wouldn't easily support ABRs where needed.

Hi Joseph

In this case use the BFF option

But the answer here about how you can have simple defulte ruting in the HUD just for tunnel establishments with spokes is

By using the commandbtunnel vrf this cammon will let the tunnel use the specified vrf to reach the other end of the tunnel

Example int tunnel 0

Ip vrf forwarding red

Tunnel vrf blue

Int x/x

Description interface to Internet

Ip vrf forwarding blue

Ip route vrf blue 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

The tunnel will participate In the routing and fib of vrf red while it will use vrf blue routing table to reach the other end of the tunnel

Ini other word youl be using somthing called front end tunnel where you can leave the tunnel in the router golba routing and let it use a vrf assigned to the router external interface for tunnel estsblishment

HTH

Reading your post, and thinking about what you describe, VRF might be the solution I need while avoiding the need for mutual redistribution.  I'll try it and let you know whether what you proposed works.

PS:

What's "BFF option"?

VRF was needed, with its own default route.  Didn't need to user another VRF for the inside interface, global (the default) was all that was needed.

Although an external facing VRF was one of the key parts of the solution, couldn't get it to work.  Didn't realize it as the time, but what was needed was DMVPM using VRF aware IPSec with fVRF.  Unfortunately, none of the "cookbook" examples I found for such solutions worked.  However, by trial and error, did find a working solution.

In my case, what was needed included:

ip vrf Internet

rd 1:1

crypto keyring DMVPN vrf Internet

local-address GigabitEthernet0/0

pre-shared-key address 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 key aKey

crypto isakmp policy 10

authentication pre-share

crypto isakmp profile DMVPN

keyring DMVPN

match identity address 0.0.0.0 Internet

crypto ipsec transform-set DMVPN esp-aes 256 esp-sha-hmac

mode transport

crypto ipsec profile DMVPN

set transform-set DMVPN

interface Tunnel1

tunnel vrf Internet

tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip vrf forwarding Internet

ip route vrf Internet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card