Helpful
Replies

Minimum Packet Size

sivam siva
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Have a basic Doubt

what is the minimum packet size to transmit ?

I have studied that its 64 bytes , 

but some websites says 68 , is it true ?

also i found the packet size below that value , which is  44 bytes for the EIGRP packet (I did this test in serial interface) , is there any exception for control traffic ?   

please Find the attached photo which shows packet with 44 bytes

Less size 44.PNG

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would suggest have look,there was  already have massive dicussion here to understand :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/slot-time-and-minimum-ethenet-fame-size/td-p/2797341

still have any more questions, please ask.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"also i found the packet size below that value , which is 44 bytes for the EIGRP packet (I did this test in serial interface) , is there any exception for control traffic ? "

Different media have different minimums. I.e. your serial medium likely supports a smaller packet size.

BTW, hope it's clear in the reference that Balaji provided, but much of Ethernet's minimum packet size requirement is due to half duplex media requirements - an example of a common issue where newer technology is often limited by keeping compatibility with earlier standards.

sivam siva
Level 3
Level 3

@Joseph W. Doherty  @balaji.bandi 

As peter told frame size must be at least 64 bytes ( which is slot-time of Ethernet to detect the collision ),

so even if the data is not sufficient, device must pad 0s to come up with 64 byte frame. this i could understand.

But if you see my below output Ethernet interface transmits EIGRP packet with 60 bytes , how its possible ?

less size 60.PNG

It might not be counting the FCS (4 bytes).

@Joseph W. Doherty 

I think you are right, could you tell me is there any way to confirm it ?

so that I can conclude.

Expand the frame and see if FCS is shown.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card