cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MLPP Bandwidth Statements

kbehrens
Level 1
Level 1

HI - I was wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to hardcoding the bandwidth statement on a MLPP interface versus letting it be set dynamically by the router.

Thanks, Karen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

One thing that comes to mind is service policies.  If there is a service policy attached to the MLPPP interface, then the policy evaluates the interface bandwidth value when it allocates bandwidth per class based on a percentage. 

Let's say there were three T1's in a bundle and a particular class was allocated 20%.  This would be about 900Kbps normally.  If one T1 drops out due to a circuit outage than the interface bandwidth value would automatically change to 3Mbps; in turn automatically shrinking the bandwidth available for the class to 600Kbps.

Manually setting the bandwidth attribute on the MLPPP interface would prevent this automagic from occurring.

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

One thing that comes to mind is service policies.  If there is a service policy attached to the MLPPP interface, then the policy evaluates the interface bandwidth value when it allocates bandwidth per class based on a percentage. 

Let's say there were three T1's in a bundle and a particular class was allocated 20%.  This would be about 900Kbps normally.  If one T1 drops out due to a circuit outage than the interface bandwidth value would automatically change to 3Mbps; in turn automatically shrinking the bandwidth available for the class to 600Kbps.

Manually setting the bandwidth attribute on the MLPPP interface would prevent this automagic from occurring.

Chris

Thanks for the response - that makes sense.  I have another question that perhaps you can answer - I have a six T1 MLPPP bundle in a 3845, T1s on S0/0/0 - S0/3/0 and S1/0/0-S1/1/0.  I'm having circuit issues on S0/0/0 and it took down the entire MLPPP.  I admin downed the interface and the MLPPP came back up.  I then had issues on S1/0/0 and again, it took down the entire bundle.  I have minimum links configured to 1 on the MLPPP interface.  I'm confused on why when one T1 goes down, it takes the entire bundle down??  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Karen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card