cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MLPPP, 5 T1s, Interleave/Fragment or not?

jlamanna1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have an old Cisco 3640 with 5 T1s in a MLPPP bundle.

I've been reading around that with the BW of 5 T1s, I don't need to turn on Interleaving and Fragmentation.

However, there is VoIP traffic going over this bundle as well, I do notice that occasionally I'm seeing jitter on VoIP calls.

Though the jitter seems to manifest itself when the out usage approaches 3-4Mb while the in usage is around 6Mb.

Could this be a CPU issue? Or is it most likely large packets delaying the small voip packets.

I was having more jitter when interleaving and fragmentation were turned on...

Here are relevant parts of the current config:

policy-map voip_policy

class voice

priority 850

class voice-signaling

bandwidth 64

class class-default

fair-queue

interface Multilink13701

ip unnumbered Loopback0

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment disable

ppp multilink group 13701

ppp multilink endpoint ip 10.1.1.1

service-policy output voip_policy

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 13701

etc...

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

5x T1 in MLPPP on an old tired 3640 is betting on luck  anough already, add interleaving and fragmenation, chances or success with some performance left are next to zero.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

What can handle 5 T1s that's fairly current short of going to a 7200 chassis?

Upgrade to ethernet-based services, you will save money and trouble.

Yes of course that's optimal, but at this location I cannot at the present time.

Then keep struggling, because no matter the platform, MLPPP is the worst WAN technology of any.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You shouldn't need interleaving/fragmentation if link bandwidth > half T1.

Try setting tx-ring-limit to minimal value on all your serial interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card