Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Temperature on 1921 router

Starfish
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone help me how do I monitor temperature of my 1921 router?

Which commands do I need to put on router and which MIBs to use.

I am using PRTG network monitor as a monitoring system.

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

'show environment' will be the CLI to check the actual temperature.

If you are going to monitor it the MIB is CISCO-ENVMON-MIB

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

For temperature, I would take the lowest value, and consider this a standard, I will consider this temperature as room temperature. Now, monitor this value only, and if it will be 10+ from an usual value, trigger and alert (email/sms) for someone to go and check, most probably there is a problem in that room.

The router CPU is not a server CPU which you are afraid that will burn if you overclocked it too much. I would monitor that temperature only if I'm scared that something can go wrong with that room.

Divide the 4 digits value to 1000 and you get it in volts. I would not monitor this OID.

# 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.2.1.3

ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusValue OBJECT-TYPE         SYNTAX     CiscoSignedGauge         UNITS      "millivolts"         MAX-ACCESS read-only         STATUS     current         DESCRIPTION                "The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented.

For temperature, I hope you do not have problems, but maybe someone else will need it in future.

# 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue OBJECT-TYPE         SYNTAX     Gauge32         UNITS      "degrees Celsius"         MAX-ACCESS read-only         STATUS     current         DESCRIPTION                "The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

'show environment' will be the CLI to check the actual temperature.

If you are going to monitor it the MIB is CISCO-ENVMON-MIB

Regards,

Edison

Hey,

thanks so much for the response.

Do you have any ideas about these commands for 1921:

snmp-server enable traps envmon

snmp-server host

If I put these commands, do i still need to insert MIBs in my network monitor?

Also, if you can provide me the link of the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB, specifically for 1921 that would be superb!

Thanks

You can download the MIB from here:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/servlet/index

Click on "Cisco IOS MIB Locator" -> Search for the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB -> Select Platform -> Download.

This MIB will be installed in your SNMP Network Manager device.

snmp-server enable traps envmon

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_18.html#wp1013373

snmp-server host

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_20.html#wp1094451

This commands are configuring the trap.

If you will use PRTG, the server will interogate via snmp the device every X seconds/minutes and create a graph. You do not need this commands. You need to configure a RO community. Please note that not all Cisco devices will tell you the temperature in degrees. Some of them will tell you only low/good/high or something similar.

I tested with VXR7246 and you get degrees, but with 3560G-48TS you will not.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

I have configured RO community but still it isn't showing temperature sensor in PRTG...but it is showing the interfaces. Also, in the switch it isn't showing the name of the interfaces (but it does show the interface)

Don't know what to do?

The "Intake" temperature readings show the temperature of the air coming into the router. If it's anywhere above 35 Celsius, the router's closet/cabinet is too hot. "Right," "User" and "Right(Bezel)" may help identify the source of hot air: if only one of them is high, the closet's overall temperature is OK but something is blowing hot air into that side of the router.

The Exhaust fan temperature shows the temperature of air exiting the router. It should be warmer than the air coming in, but not too much.

I doubt that power consumption is worth monitoring, unless you're doing an exhaustive energy audit or deep hardware troubleshooting. Traffic and temperature are usually the biggest problems in a network closet.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your help. I managed to get the sensors on PRTG monitor after inserting MIBs.

On my CLI of 1921 router, I got following:

SYSTEM TEMPERATURE STATUS

=========================

Intake Right temperature: 24 Celsius, Normal

Intake User temperature: 28 Celsius, Normal

Exhaust Fan temperature: 31 Celsius, Normal

Intake Right(Bezel) temperature: 27 Celsius, Normal

Sorry, I am new to monitoring. But wasn't knowing that there can be too many things for temperature.

I am unable to understand terms like "Intake right", "intake user" and "Intake Right (Bezel)"

Can you explain me what do they stand for?

Also, how do I monitor this:

SYSTEM POWER

===============

Motherboard Components Power consumption = 24.7 W

Total System Power consumption is: 24.7 W

Thanks in advance.

search for the mib file, open that file with notepad and seach for oids, also a nice description will be inside.

if you already know how to monitor an OID, the only problem for you now should be how to find the OIDs

Hi Edison & Daniel,

Thanks a ton for replying me!

I just want to know the terms which I earlier mentioned in my last post.  I am accurately able to get all those terms & its value in PRTG  monitor but which one is the critical and most important one and what it  stands for?

I already opened the MIB in PRTG MIB importer and notepad too. But all it is showing is  just

"The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented." I know the testpoint should be 1921 router (but not sure).

In voltage sensor, PRTG gives the value in 4 digits, how do I interpret that?

This is confusing..Help me if you have any idea about those "terms", which I mentioned in last reply.

Thanks in advance.

Really appreciate your help.

For temperature, I would take the lowest value, and consider this a standard, I will consider this temperature as room temperature. Now, monitor this value only, and if it will be 10+ from an usual value, trigger and alert (email/sms) for someone to go and check, most probably there is a problem in that room.

The router CPU is not a server CPU which you are afraid that will burn if you overclocked it too much. I would monitor that temperature only if I'm scared that something can go wrong with that room.

Divide the 4 digits value to 1000 and you get it in volts. I would not monitor this OID.

# 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.2.1.3

ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusValue OBJECT-TYPE         SYNTAX     CiscoSignedGauge         UNITS      "millivolts"         MAX-ACCESS read-only         STATUS     current         DESCRIPTION                "The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented.

For temperature, I hope you do not have problems, but maybe someone else will need it in future.

# 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue OBJECT-TYPE         SYNTAX     Gauge32         UNITS      "degrees Celsius"         MAX-ACCESS read-only         STATUS     current         DESCRIPTION                "The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card