Views
Helpful
Replies

MP-iBGP and Route Reflector Behaviours

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Let me explain about the design before getting into the details. We are a service provider and we have presence across different data centres located across the country. Our core boxes are the mixture of Cisco VXR’s and 6513 switches which have MP-iBGP peering with the route reflectors. If a new client comes on board, a new VRF will be created to carry the client’s traffic and as a standard practice the VRF will be added to all the core devices across the network even if they don’t have a presence in a data centre.

Now, I am designing a network for a client who has presence only at two fixed locations as shown in the attached diagram. We will be acting as a transit network between the client and another service provider. So, I have planned to use MP-eBGP between us and the other provider and default/static routes to the client’s network I don’t think will be an issue. Since the client has presence only at two locations, my design thoughts are to create a VRF and a Vlan and form an iBGP session only between the two routers and bypassing Route Reflectors. Created the VRF at BNE_R1 and formed MP-eBGP relation with the other provider and I can see some routes appearing via the peering which is normal and expected.

My problem is (not problem I don’t understand how this is happening), I created the VRF on Mel_R1 router and did not add any extra lines of configurations to BGP under that VRF instance and when I was checking some thing I accidentally found the same routes which appears on Bne_R1 is appearing in the VRF’s routing table via MP-iBGP session through route reflector. I can’t understand how this is happening, since I haven’t added any thing on the route reflector and some how its leaking traffic.

1. Is this normal??
  2. Is it’s a must / standard / Good Practise to add the newly created VRF across all the device which peers with the route reflector ??
  3. Is there a way to override the Route Reflector just for this client (VRF) and form a direct MP-iBGP peering directly with the devices involved.
  4. If there is a way for the above point. Is it’s a good practice to bypass route reflector??

A network can be designed in much number of ways. But I am looking for the best options and some valuable suggestions from you guys.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Sudeep Valengattil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To answer you,

1. The ebgp peering with the provider cloud  would automatically get redistributed into vpnv4 and would be shared with RR.  And RR inturn would share it with Mel-R1. This is normal and expected.

2. It would not be a good practise, unncessarily creating VRFs on all routers

3. Just stop importing route-target (no route-target <>:<>). It would not use RR then, instead it will use only the prefix learned from VRF ibgp neighbor through vlan 432.

4. Its not a good practise to bypass RR, especially in SP environment. Having RR in network would not cause any harm.

Thanks,

Sudeep

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card