Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS benefits these days?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the main benefits of MPLS these days?

Back in the day of processed based routing etc when routers had no compute power it was said to help vastly, but with modern high performing routers this is not an issue.

In which case why do providers still use MPLS? I hear about traffic engineering etc, but what exactly do they mean by this etc?

cheers

2 Replies 2

fbabashahi
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hi
MPLS has many benefits 1-for ISP vrf is important that use in combination of bgp and mpls(good L2 and L3 vpn services) 2- supporting QoS in MPLS based services and these : The benefits of MPLS are scalability, performance, better bandwidth utilization, reduced network congestion and a better end-user experience.

good luck

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, originally MPLS technology was to provide better forwarding performance by using tag switching. This because making forwarding decisions on a fixed sized address field (like MAC) doesn't require the hardware resources that making a forwarding decision on a variable sized address field (like IP) does. However, although later hardware technology has very much narrowed the performance gap, it's still somewhat present. Yet, besides the performance benefit, the usage of MPLS labels allow "doing things", also at hardware speeds, that would not be possible without the additional MPLS label. (Basically, MPLS labels allows them to be used to retain information beyond a tag for a destination. For example, MPLS allows the same IP address, to be used in the same physical network, yet kept separate, somewhat the L3 version of a L2 VLAN.)
Traffic engineering is a way to use MPLS to direct some MPLS traffic to flow the way you want, i.e. not follow routing's "best path". (It's somewhat an advanced static routing and/or PBR, often on top of networks using BGP.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card