Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS integration to existing VRFs

steve martin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My company has recently purchased a mpls solution that configures the WAN and then redistributes back into the LAN at an ASR.  On our core are 3 existing vrfs, that the mpls will need to integrate with.  The main vrf has BGP running within it - so presumably I need to setup a BGP peering and that will advertise the routes back. 

The other two vrf don't have any dynamic routing - these vrfs are flat layer 2 networks that have been rolled out across the network as layer 2 vpls solutions.  The intention was that I would retain the same ip subnets to the new mpls but I'm confused how best to integrate the old flat network with the new layer 3 solution.  How would I best advertise routes between the ASR and the core for these vrfs.  Any advise would be much appreciated.

Steve

4 Replies 4

Hi

All of the 3 VRFs are being advertised through the MP-BGP?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Yes that's right,  though I haven't got  access to the configuration on the router.

Hi,

Basically each VRF has its own routing table, so if you want to be able to reach the subnets from each other, you can import the route-targets from each other, for example:

ip vrf A

rd 1:1

route-target export 1:1

route-target import 1:1

route-target import 2:2

route-target import 3:3

ip vrf B

rd 2:2

route-target export 2:2

route-target import 2:2

route-target import 3:3

ip vrf C

rd 3:3

route-target export 3:3

Or

ip vrf A

rd 1:1

route-target export 1:1

ip vrf B

rd 2:2

route-target export 2:2

route-target import 3:3

ip vrf C (MAIN)

rd 3:3

route-target export 3:3

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for the information, can you just clarify that the routes will appear without any additional configuration.  Will I need to setup an instance of BGP/ or another dynamic routing protocol on the vrfs that currently don't have any routing setup to see those routes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card