cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Question

jrgates
Level 1
Level 1

I've inherited a MPLS network and haven't used it before. On the MPLS router that is in my Home Office there is only one interface. Should that be setup with sub interfaces for each site or am I confusing Frame Relay with it?

So for example the current config

interface Serial1/0

description MCI MPLS

ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip access-group 160 in

ip access-group 150 out

dsu bandwidth 44210

service-policy output QoS

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jobe,

if this is a L3 VPN service your router is a CE:

connection to all remote sites is provided by Service provider service in form of routing protocol information.

MPLS VPN have a L3 peer model when each CE device peers only with a SP PE node

a FR cloud uses a L2 VPN overlay model and a new site requires to create new DLCIs on existing sites.

This is an example of MPLS VPN advantage over FR based VPNs.

So what you see is correct.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the reply. Any idea what kind of latency we should be seeing? I'm seeing in the 60ms range.

Latency will depend on how far the traffic is going and how many nodes it travels through. If the other end of the VPN is on the other side of the world then the latency will be more than if the other end of the VPN is across town. Latency is smaller in an MPLS network than in a traditional routed network.

hi Jobe,

You are using share-media(MPLS). Am I correct? (grin)

all right, Are you concerning about latency? what type of traffic are you concerning about? Voice? Okay you're configuring QOS on the interface it will help you some. but when packets is passing through the MPLS cloud. No one helps you.it will go as it does. You may talk to ISP something looks like this. "If I mark voice traffics and send them to MPLS. Can you do traffic engineering for them? Do I have to pay more? (grin)" It will improve latency problems as well.

Hope this help!!

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card