Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Question

john.dejesus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some question in injecting an MPLS over our network. We have this requirement that will interconnect our client's private network to our network via MPLS. Our existing topology is physically layered (see topology below). What we want is to connect them to our Extranet Distribution SW. However, our ISP told us that they will handover this mpls connection over our existing internet connection with them. My question now are the ff:

1. How will it affect our existing topology?

2. If we follow our ISP, will there be a drawback or disadvantages or advantages?

3. In ISP point of view, how will they segment the traffic over the internet? We use BGP with our ISP receiving only a default route and we will also use BGP to interconnect with our client. I'm new to MPLS and right now I don't have any idea on how to approach this kind of setup.

ISP (BGP Connection)

|

Internet EDGE Router

|

Firewall

|

EDGE Distribution SW

|

Firewall---------Extranet Distribution SW-----Private WAN Cloud (CLIENT NETWORK)

|

Intranet Distribution SW

|

Intranet Access SW

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

They are putting the technical complexity on you.

See if the can:

1. Identify where they have done this before sucessfully.

2. Provide you the tecnical resources to configure your side.

3. Demonstrate the "value add" to you for doing it this way.

my personal choice is to keep extranet (clients, busness partners private and mpls services) somewhat seperate from garden variety internet access.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Mty first question is whos MPLS network, yours or the client.

If its the client I wourld think that a customer edge (CE) router attached at your extranet distribution switch would do the trick.

you could accept (and filter) their routes, and advertise your address space to them. plus have all that extra net scurity already in place.

MPLS network is provided by ISP verizon. Verizon wants to use our current 2mbps internet connection and inject that mpls. i'm confused on how will they do that in the first place. If that's the case, then i cannot plug that mpls physically to my extranet distribution sw whether its a managed PE and/or CE router. How will it affect my existing design if we will allow verizon to use the current internet connection? I know that i can use route filter to segregate the routes. but is this ideal (ease of management)? 

They are putting the technical complexity on you.

See if the can:

1. Identify where they have done this before sucessfully.

2. Provide you the tecnical resources to configure your side.

3. Demonstrate the "value add" to you for doing it this way.

my personal choice is to keep extranet (clients, busness partners private and mpls services) somewhat seperate from garden variety internet access.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco