cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Switching question

chesterjgainer
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to see if I can get some clarification on this matter.  I have a MPLS connection from the service provider coming in which of course connects my remote offices.  I have the subifs all configed on the router and all is well.  I am looking to setup redundancy and want to setup HSRP on two redundant 3825 routers.  My question is this, Can I use a layer 3 gigabit switch  as my "core" so to speak then place that mpls connection in the switch and have it connect both routers so when the primary dies the remote sites still have mpls?  I knwo it may be simple and I am thinking yes but I just wanted to bounce some ideas around before I go investing in this setup!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You could, but have you then just moved your single point of failure to your new L3 core switch?  (Unless you're planning on using a chassis or a switch stack that supports redundancy.  Even then, the port the MPLS connection attaches to would still be a single point of failure.)

What might make more sense would be to have another remote connection, connected to a 2nd L3 device, at your HQ site that all branches can connect through.  This could be another MPLS connection or perhaps a VPN connection across the Internet.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just clarify your net setup

You have to edge routers each of them has wan link and you want to connect them to switch and run hsrp between them ? If this is the case then the answer yes

You can configure the switch in layer 2 and configure hsrp between the routers and use the hsrp VIP as the default gateway

Or if your core switch is layer then you can relay on routing such eigrp instead of hsrp and in fact routing convergence faster than hsrp just run routing between the two routers and core switch and redistribute the route coming from the mpls to routing between the routers and the switch

HTH

If helpful rate

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You could, but have you then just moved your single point of failure to your new L3 core switch?  (Unless you're planning on using a chassis or a switch stack that supports redundancy.  Even then, the port the MPLS connection attaches to would still be a single point of failure.)

What might make more sense would be to have another remote connection, connected to a 2nd L3 device, at your HQ site that all branches can connect through.  This could be another MPLS connection or perhaps a VPN connection across the Internet.

chesterjgainer
Level 1
Level 1

Joseph your correct, I do have two wan connections, a FIOS which is regular internet and then the MPLS which is internet and network connectivity to remote sites.  I guess what confused me is that for the MPLS I will have to configure the switch to talk to the PE router then push that connection to the access connections.  Thank you both!

Well I am too sure about your entire topology I jut gave the answer in general

But I do agree with Joseph that it's better to avoid the single point of failure by have recant switches and wan/internet links

If you have mpls provider and Internet you could use dmvpn as an option see the bellow link as an example

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8356

Hope this help

Sorry I meant  i am not too sure about your topology :)

Thanks Marwanshawi, That link has some great info!  I'm actually looking into GLBP right now instead of HSRP but I do have quite a few GREs and that Doc looks like  good solution to solve that issue.  Thanks again!

You welcome and thanks for the rating

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: