Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE over MPLS transparently

cisco8887
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Guys,

is it possible to create MPLS TE over WAN MPLS transparently  if you don't have any access to the WAN backend ?

What challanges do you see ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can run MPLS over GRE. Once you create GRE tunnel from one end to other, then you can enable MPLS but then i dont see the use of having MPLS TE there.

the biggest challenges is you will be losing bytes when sending GRE encapsulated packets. (assuming GRE or other traffic is not blocked)

Regards

Vinit

PS: Please rate useful posts.

Thanks
--Vinit

Could you please elaborate more?

what is the point of having gre over mpls ? If you have wan/ isp mpls, can you run mpls with ce nodes to create another layer of mpls?

when you say you loose bytes, is that because of aditional overhead?

My response was based on your question. You cannot configure MPLS TE unless you have access to the nodes in the path to configure RSVP. So if you only have access to two end points, then you can configure GRE and enable MPLS on top of it.

It is a bit confusing on why do you need MPLS or MPLS TE when you have an ISP link and you do not have access to the nodes in the middle

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

So if there is no rsvp or access to node in middle there can be no mpls te?

reason is to enable mpls te with fast re route to avoid relying on ospf

i know ospf lfa or eigrp can help but wanted to know if mpls te for the scenario i described is possible

Hi,

So if there is no rsvp or access to node in middle there can be no mpls te?

<Nagendra> MPLS TE uses RSVP as signaling protocol to instantiate the LSP. So you need RSVP to be enabled on all participating routers to use MPLS-TE.

reason is to enable mpls te with fast re route to avoid relying on ospf

<Nagendra> Do you mean, your objective is to achieve FRR incase of link failure from CE to PE?. I think you dont need MPLS-TE for that. How is your CE connected?. Is it dual homed to same PE or different PE?. How is your CE learning the prefixes of remote sites?.

i know ospf lfa or eigrp can help but wanted to know if mpls te for the scenario i described is possible

<Nagendra>BGP or EIGRP appears to be the simple choice of protocol for your objective (assuming I understood your objective right).

-Nagendra

Many thanks,

i suspected that but not very experienced with mpls te

with bgp fot quick failover, woulf you use bgp with additional path?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card