Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE Question

Carl Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I've manaeged to run and encrypt PE to PE traffic which is MPLS labeled throughout my network, I now need to look at a way of routing the traffic using MPLS TE tunnels for traffic engineering purposes is this possible. I've checked other forums and seen that it should be possible. But i just need to consider the MTU sizes. I'll set the MTU sizes to 1600 this should be fine.

Can someone explain the path the transported traffic will take. Because i was under the impression that the traffic will traverse the MPLE TE tunnel, But then i need the traffic to go via the GRE IPSEC which I've configured.

MPLS TE is Turning on MPLS TE over your encrypted GRE tunnels how is this done.  I already have a full mesh of GRE IPSEC Tunnels between nodes. How would I use MPLS TE to transport encrypted GRE traffic an example would be nice.

I'll send the topology below.

The tunnels should have two alternative paths. a primary path and a secondary path.

regards

Carl Williams

9 Replies 9

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

You really just need to make your GRE tunnel interface an mpls traffic-eng interfaces. The RSVP code does not know or care about the difference between a GRE interface and a P2P ethernet for example. All the config stuff is the same, you just use the tunnel interface.

I would advise testing this setup very carefully before deployment a TE over GRE solution as it is not often used and only recently supported. Not sure If all scenarios are supported at this time. As an example, last time I checked(over a year ago) we did not support the GRE tunnel endpoint being a midpoint router in the TE tunnel but we did support GRE endpoint and TE endpoint on same router. FRR scenarios and platform could come into play so tread lightly and test thoroughly.

-Ben

Hi Mate

Thanks for the answer however, I tried this in my IOS and my IOS does not seem to support the implementation of MPLS TE and GRE on the same interface. I need to run IPSEC over my Tunnels which is the reason why I've opted to go with GRE tunnels. But I also need MPLE TE capabilities.

regards

Carl

What version of IOS are you using?

Can you post the relvant parts of you config from your tunnel headend.I tried this real quick in 12.2(33)SRE and was able to get it up. Very rough test. Just config and control plane of the GRE and TE tunnel, nothing else.Did test passing traffic or bring up a VPN across the tunnel.

-Ben

Hi Mate

Looks like I'm using the incorrect IOS. Looks like i need an IOS upgrade so you one one percent sure that i can use both MPLS TE and GRE on the same tunnel interface. Please view network diagram attached. The overall objective is for me to simply have two MPLS TE's Primary path between PE-1 and PE-2 path being (PE-1, P1, P2, PE-2) the backup tunnel second tunnel needs to go Via PE-1 P-3 P-2 then PE-2. Because I don't have the right IOS can you show me how the configuration will look based on the correct IOS. A diagram of the overall topology can be found attached as well as the configurations so far.

if I can't get a hold of the right IOS then can you also show what the configs will look like based on a standard MPLS TE config.

regards

Carl Williams

P3 also attached,,,

cheers

williams.carl wrote:

so you one one percent sure that i can use both MPLS TE and GRE on the same tunnel interface.

Not sure if I am clear what you mean but you would not have both on the same interface. One interface would be the GRE tunnel and another tunnel interface would be the TE tunnel interface. The TE tunnel would be carried over the GRE tunnel but they would not be the same interface.

-Ben

Hi Ben

Thanks for the help another question.

I've completed configurations for the MPLS TE tunnels.

PE-1#show mpls traffic-eng tunnels

Name: PE-1_t0                             (Tunnel0) Destination: 204.134.83.1
    Admin: up         Oper: down   Path: not valid   Signalling: Down
    path option 10, type dynamic

Config Parameters:
    Bandwidth: 100      kbps (Global)  Priority: 1  1   Affinity: 0x0/0xFFFF
    Metric Type: TE (default)
    AutoRoute:  enabled   LockDown: disabled  Loadshare: 100      bw-based
    auto-bw: disabled

History:
    Tunnel:
      Time since created: 28 minutes, 9 seconds
    Path Option 10:
      Last Error: PCALC:: No path to destination, 204.134.83.1

Name: PE-1_t1                             (Tunnel1) Destination: 204.134.83.1
    Admin: up         Oper: down   Path: not valid   Signalling: Down
    path option 11, type dynamic

Config Parameters:
    Bandwidth: 100      kbps (Global)  Priority: 3  3   Affinity: 0x0/0xFFFF
    Metric Type: TE (default)
    AutoRoute:  enabled   LockDown: disabled  Loadshare: 100      bw-based
    auto-bw: disabled

History:
    Tunnel:
      Time since created: 28 minutes, 17 seconds
    Path Option 11:
      Last Error: PCALC:: No path to destination, 204.134.83.1

my tunnels are not coming up for some reason any ideas?

Hi Ben

Need help mate my tunnels appear to be down for some reason.

PE-1#show mpls traffic-eng tunnels summary
Signalling Summary:
    LSP Tunnels Process:            running
    RSVP Process:                   running
    Forwarding:                     enabled
    Head: 4 interfaces, 0 active signalling attempts, 0 established
          0 activations, 0 deactivations
    Midpoints: 0, Tails: 0
    Periodic reoptimization:        every 3600 seconds, next in 703 seconds
    Periodic auto-bw collection:    disabled

PE-1#show mpls traffic-eng tunnels brief
Signalling Summary:
    LSP Tunnels Process:            running
    RSVP Process:                   running
    Forwarding:                     enabled
    Periodic reoptimization:        every 3600 seconds, next in 747 seconds
    Periodic auto-bw collection:    disabled
TUNNEL NAME                      DESTINATION      UP IF     DOWN IF   STATE/PROT
PE-1_t0                          204.134.83.1     -         unknown   up/down
PE-1_t1                          204.134.83.1     -         unknown   up/down
PE-1_t2                          204.134.83.8     -         unknown   up/down
PE-1_t3                          204.134.83.8     -         unknown   up/down
Displayed 4 (of 4) heads, 0 (of 0) midpoints, 0 (of 0) tails

Hello Carl,

your configuration is not complete as explained in MPLS forum thread

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: