Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast, Router Stops Responding

Thomas Beaver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a router that stops responding the SNMP polls during ghosting/heavy multicasting.  Its an older router, (2621) with the latest IOS available for the device.  I'm unfamiliar with multicast and not really sure why it does this?  Is it because the router is just old (Low CPU/Memory)?

ROUTER-1#show ip pim interface

Address          Interface                Ver/   Nbr    Query  DR     DR
                                          Mode   Count  Intvl  Prior
10.X.X.10      FastEthernet0/1          v2/S   0      30     1      10.X.X.10

ROUTER-1#SHOW RUN

ip multicast-routing
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 10.X.X.9 255.255.252.0
speed 100
full-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 10.X.X.10 255.255.255.0
ip access-group INTERNET-ONLY in
ip pim sparse-mode
ip igmp query-interval 100
ip cgmp
speed 100
full-duplex

ROUTER-1#show ip pim rp mapping
PIM Group-to-RP Mappings

ROUTER-1#

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Use command "sh proce cpu" during the ghosting and see how high the CPU utilization is

That will give you an idea what the issue is.

HTH

I'll give this a shot if I'm here when it happens again, but I'm under the impression the device could not be SSH'd/Telneted into during this time as well.

Device can't be accessed after multicast begins.  It locks up (but the workstations still receive the image) and we cannot ssh into the box.  Is this a CPU/Memory problem?

Hi,

Are you sending your logs to a syslog server?. Maybe, that will help to find out what just happens when the Router stops responding andsee what what activity just took place. There are some tools like Solarwinds Cat tools.etc

HTH,

Regards,

Please rate if helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card