Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast traffic over GRE tunnel

Kangalala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a BGP point to point connection over a 100Mbps link between Branch office and Main office, connection via ISP.

I have set up under two cisco routers 2801 with advance security ios a GRE tunnel running ospf protocol so I can share multicast traffic for streaming between the two sites but I'm only able to get 6 Mbps out of the tunnel between the sites. I have configured PIM Sparce-mode multicast to carry video traffic over the tunnel.

Is there a limit over the GRE tunnel, could it be MTU or perhaps other issues anybody can help me resolve this issue guys?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There's a lot of discussions about the bandwidth limitations on tunnel interface. But most of the discussions going around seems to be related to software restrictions on the device.

Issues might be related to MTU. Did you enable PMTUD on the tunnel interface? If not please enable it, as this recommended on tunnel interface.

HTH.

Please rate helpful post.

Regards,

Terence

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There's a lot of discussions about the bandwidth limitations on tunnel interface. But most of the discussions going around seems to be related to software restrictions on the device.

Issues might be related to MTU. Did you enable PMTUD on the tunnel interface? If not please enable it, as this recommended on tunnel interface.

HTH.

Please rate helpful post.

Regards,

Terence

Hi terence,

what about bandwidth limitation, so how much bandwidth max could I get on my GRE Tunnel using a 2801 router?

I will enable PMTUD as I was just reading it about it earlier, do I add on both routers and would you please share the syntex?

can you share discussion link about software limitation or equipment. I would like to know of options Cisco equipment to purchase or software that will help me get the most out of 100 Mbps WAN link on a tunnel GRE?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card