cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast

TekashiSixNine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have MPLS L3 vpn. I want to use pim sparse mode. I have configured one PE router to be RP and P router to be MA. On each PE I have MDT default in the vrf configuration (i have ip multicast routing vrf) and the other routers int the network are configured with pim sparse-dense mode. My multicast is not working correctly what am I missing?

5 Replies 5

There may have been some advances to do this a better way, but I have always had to use GRE tunnels to propagate multicast over a VPN. You enable the multicast routing on the appropriate LAN interfaces and the GRE tunnels.

I have problem with configuring PE router as RP (dynamically) on MPLS L3 VPN when I have vrf. I am so confused with this, MDT configuration also...

Would you mind posting a complete config (without the ISAKMP keys is fine)? Perhaps someone else can comment on how else to do it, but my only suggestion is to use GRE tunnels to route the multicast traffic, VRF or not.

Can you explain me why I should use GRE tunnels? I thought that with PIM sparse mode I need only RP... 

I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Honestly I don't know that I will be able to offer much assistance without seeing the configuration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card