Views
Helpful
Replies

Multichassis MLPPP

a.kumaresan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 routers in 2 locations. The are connected to each other via 2 leased lines on seperate routers. I want to bundle the interfaces. I went through cisco site on multichassis multilink PPP. But it is given only for dialer, BRi and PRI configuration. Is it possible in my case.

(site A)R1---------------------R3(site B)

(site A)R2---------------------R4 (site B)

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arun

I have done a little multichassis multilink but not in the way that you are describing so I can not speak from direct experience. But I would think that it would work. So long as the 2 routers at site A have a connection between them, the 2 routers at site B have a connection between them, and as long as the serials between site A and site B use encapsulation PPP, then I would think that you would be able to configure multichassis multilink and I think that it would work. In addition to the multilink configuration you will need to configure the Stack Group Bidding Protocol (SGBP) between the routers at site A and between the routers at site B.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi there,

Please allow me to ask a question here. I can understand the need for multilink between 2 chassis in 2 different sites, but what is Arun's need to multichssis multilink in this sceinario ?

best regards,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed

When we normally think about multilink PPP we are dealing with 2 or more PPP links that originate on a single router and that terminate on a single router. It was my understanding (and the basis of my response) that Arun has 2 routers at site A and 2 routers at site B where each router has a single PPP link between the sites. To put links into a multilink bundle where they originate and terminate on separate routers you need the nultichassis multilink feature. Perhaps Arun can verify that this is the case.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Your understanding of my requirement is perfectly right. I am going to try out this by this weekend and let you guys knuw about the outcome.

Thanks and regards

Arun

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card