cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multihomed BGP \ ISP Flapping

karlwyatt
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers on premised that are connected to two diverse ISPs. 

We have had a problem with ISP-A where the link will become unstable (since corrected with ISP but planning for future issues). The link will flap up and down, we will receive BGP neighbor adjacency logs in the router indicating we lost the neighbor.

The problem is that while this is occurring our network is becoming less stable. External monitoring shows that there are connections lost to our services. We can also see connections lost outbound.

One corrective action that we have taken is to reconfigure HSRP to track the external interface and then not be pre-emptive, this should help with our external connections from failing as most of our routers will choose to go out the local router (but not all, some pass to the peer). 

This to me makes it seem that our ISP is not doing route dampening of the networks we advertise, if our external monitoring keeps preferring the path through ISP-A to come into our services. Should i ask the ISP to enable route dampening? 

I believe that my HSRP change will help slightly but what can be done about the routes that still prefer to go out through the peer? Should i enable some route dampening between my ibgp peers?

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It sounds like both you and your ISP should enable bgp dampening on the link between you (rather than IBGP).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card