cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multihomed BGP steps

blamerson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  I'm a realatively green BGP person.  I've done one other BGP implementation before, but I had full control of the environment - owned a direct assigned block of IPs from ARIN, registered my ASN with ARIN, etc.  I am now working with a customer who is going to be multihomed between two separate cable ISP providers.  One ISP is going to provide the /24 subnet for the company and both ISPs have agreed to route this subnet via BGP.  The client only cares about one link being "primary" at any given time, so there's no need for any sort of complex/akward load sharing, just route redundancy.  My main questions are:

Traditionally - will one ISP provide the AS number or will they need to register their own public AS and then neighbor with the peers AS number?

When I did my BGP deployment, we also had to register our addresses with RADb (Merit Networks).  This was an educational environment, but it seems that it's still ideal in the public world to register with RADb.  Thoughts, pros/cons?

If there's any other items I should be concerned with, please let me know.  Thanks!

Brian

2 Replies 2

mikull.kiznozki
Level 1
Level 1

well, if you can negotiate with both the ISP's you can ask them for a private as number which could be used by you for both the neighbor relationships. Incase both the isp's do not have a common free private as number to hand out to you, you could use the local-as command on either on of the isp neighbor statements to get a successful neighbor relationship going.

i would not be bothererd to get a public as afaik it can be  a tedious and time consuming process.

i would just make sure that i would not configure the client "as" as a transit-as as you are going to be multi homed!

hth

naresh.narang
Level 1
Level 1

Get a public AS # and use with both.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card