Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink in Devices

Hi , i have question a Little dump one ,How multilink actually pass traffic .Is first link start sending data to second when it it full used or its kind of load balance between two links ?

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It depends on the particular type of technology.

In EtherChannel, frames are sent through the individual Ethernet links depending on the combination of MAC addresses in the frames, optionally even IP addresses and TCP/UDP port numbers. For every frame, the switch feeds these values into a hashing function, and the result of the hashing function points to a particular link through which the frame will be forwarded. As a result, EtherChannel load-balances the traffic across multiple links.

In PPP Multilink, every frame is split into several fragments, one for each link, and the fragments are the sent over the links in parallel. The receiving router will reassemble these fragments back to the original frame and process its payload as usual. As a result, PPP Multilink also achieves load balancing.

Other modes of operation, such as using the second link in a bundle only when the first one is already saturated are possible but uncommon. I recall that on ISDN BRI interfaces, you could configure the dialer to place another call to the ISP if the existing connection was coming near to saturation, and PPP Multilink was used at the backend to add or remove the newly added call to the bundle of calls capable of carrying data. However, I haven't seen this mode of operation with Ethernet.

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card