cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ISPs, no BGP

ereinoehl
Level 1
Level 1

We have a client with a DSL connection, static addresses w/DSL router, and a Road Runner connection, dynamic address with cable modem. They would like a solution that would provide firewall protection with the ablility to use both Internet connections, or at least be able to switch from one to the other should one line fail.

3 Replies 3

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

Take a look at the Cisco LinkSys RV042 SOHO router. According to the data sheet, it is exactly what you are looking for.

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

It looks what we were looking for. Thanks.

Hey Dave,

I saw the conversation thread in the CiscoNetPro Forum re: using the Linksys RV series routers. After playing 'update the firmware' with Xincom and Hawking on their dual-WAN routers.... I was hesitant to try the Linksys routers to provide simple Layer-3 failover for some of my SMB clients.

Was wondering if you tried this and what your results have been to date. Just to note... tried using a RV082 at a test client and found that we coulnd not get failover working without Gateway Mode being enabled. Then once we enabled it... could not get any inbound traffic for SMTP, HTTP, or IPSec. (going to an internal public IP range..... even when the primary ISP connection who owned the IP range was up.)

Appreciate any feedback or comments.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card