Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple PPPoE Clients on 881

Antonio Macia
Participant
Participant

Hello,

Is it possible to set up a pppoe client on a VLAN interface, or a switch interface associated to an VLAN?. For example, in a 881 ethernet router, could I configure a pppoe client on any of the lan interfaces in addition to the pppoe client configured on the WAN interface?.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

881 router comes with 4 FE port and 1 etherner WAN port.  You can configure PPPoE on Ethernet WAN port as below,

Configuring the PPPoE Client on an Ethernet Interface

!
interface Ethernet0/1 (The L3 (Router) WAN Interface)
no ip address
pppoe enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
!
Configuring the Dialer Interface

!
interface Dialer0
encapsulation ppp
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1492
dialer pool
!

And if you would like to configure PPPoE on Fastethernet ports , you can make the ports part of vlan,

int fa0
switchport access vlan 2
!
int vlan2
no ip add
pppoe enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 2
ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
!

int di1
encap ppp
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1492
dialer pool 2
!

Hope it helps,

Jyoti

Konstantin Dunaev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  Antonio,

I hope the Jyoti's answer was helpfull and I find it's 100% correct.

I have a question regarding your cisco881, because I have the configuration problem with c881. Please try to configure under Dialer interface the command "ppp multilink" and please tell me if this command would be accepted on your system.

Thank you.

Thanks for the replies,

Currently I have no longer this device, so I can not try the configurations you gave me. Anyway, it is great to know that we can configure a PPPoE client in a Vlan interface using lan interfaces. In this way, I suppose I could use 2 ADSLs to set up load-balancing it I treat the Vlan as outside interface, right?

Regards.

Yes, you can use external Vlan interface as outside interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: