Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Trunk links

Roel Reyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

Is there anyone who encounter issues having multiple trunks on a switch, the purpose is to create trunk to allow 2 vlans to pass, 1st one is to separate the broadcast traffic from management IP of radio and the 2nd one is client traffic. 

Thanks all,

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never seen any issues with having multiple trunks on a switch, it should work fine.

Are you having problems ?

Jon

Hi

No problems with multiples links, have you verified the Spanning-Tree?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi, thanks for the inputs,

I also want to enable bpdu filter on those trunk ports since it will be an end point or client devices. I'm pretty sure that their connection will not be redundant to my Core. Is it okay to implement? i know it is recommended only for access port, but this one is a special case wherein client ip radio and client ip block is in different network but will run on the same link, I know everyone that putting them on same vlan is not the best solution but possible.

Hi

Bpdu filter can be used where spanning-tree portfast is applied, as portfast is used on non trunk interface I dont recommend use filter for this case.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Root guard for superior bpdu protection ? Even though im not using the links for redundancy and stp? 

If you want to protect your STP root bridges you can set up root guard under the interfaces facing to client switches. 

but im not planning to use STP, the L3 switch will act as a gateway for my clients, those trunk ports (consist of 2 vlans, management ip block and client ip block)  will be use only for clients, my plan is to protect my trunk ports from my clients if mistakenly added a switch and run STP, so my L3 switch wont participate.

Hi

ok thank, do you have a diagram for this scheme?

Hi this is the network topology i want to build

that's why i need to make it as a trunk port as well as protect it from forming STP with the client.

Hello

Trunks are L2 as such I wouldn't recommend disabling STP

Manually defining your STP root via priority values and applying interface bpduguard /root guard and disabling DTP (either via switchport nonnegotiatie or access mode) on your access ports would negate a unwarranted intelligent switch to be added to your network

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

r-godden
Level 1
Level 1

Only issue i have encountered with microwave radios that also trunk, is that the management address had to be in the same vlan at the user data, this was a restriction on the microwave radios not the switches.

So whats your solution? Create two separate vlan for management and client right? How do you protect your trunk port from unnecessary bpdu's? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card