Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple WAN IPs on single public interface ASA5508-X

powerstubbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an ASA5508-X and my ISP has provisioned our modem for multihoming. Could someone please explain the steps necessary to have the second IP on the public interface and how I can route all traffic from that WAN IP to an internal host?

I believe this would be a 1:1 NAT, I am using the GUI to configure the firewall.

Thank you in advance.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

the ASA does not support secondary IP addresses on a single interface, as far as I recall. So I guess you need another interface to configure this on...

powerstubbs
Level 1
Level 1

I think I may have done a poor job explaining my situation. My apologies. We normally deploy Meraki MX firewalls. With those, we can easily accomplish what I am trying to do. ISP puts the modem into multihoming and then we just create a 1:1 NAT that consists of the WAN IP and then the internal IP (ex: a webserver IP). 

Here's what I have done on the ASA5508, in the GUI I created a network object, that contains the WAN IP and subnet. I created a "Manual" static NAT that has the source interface as "outside" and set source address/port to ANY and Destination as the network object I created that contains the WAN IP. I set the destination network to be "inside" and address/port to ANY and destination address to my internal server. 

I then created an access rule that has the Source as "outside" and networks/ports as any then Destination as "inside" and networks "my internal server" object. 

I cannot deploy these changes yet, customer wants to wait. But does this sounds like I did the correct thing? Will this work lol?

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

I would use either Auto Nat or twice nat.

Auto NAT:

object network inside-server
host 192.168.1.10
nat static 2.2.2.10 service tcp 443 443

In the above example, 2.2.2.10 represents the new public IP address. It doesn't and indeed can't be configured as a secondary IP on the existing ASAs public interface. The service https is just for illustration purposes.  The object 'inside-server' represents the server on the inside, using its real ip address.

The resulting output in ASDM would look something like this:

network object nat rule.PNG

Twice NAT:

object network inside-server-public
host 2.2.2.10 <-----------------New network object corresponding to the new Public IP 
object service https
service tcp destination eq https <------You may create a new service object for the services you wish to publish

nat (inside,outside) 1 source static inside-server inside-server-public service https https

The resulting output in ASDM would look something like this:

network object nat rule 2.PNG

Then, create/modify the ACL to  permit the desired traffic to pass:

access-list outside_access_in line 1 extended permit https any any
access-group outside_access_in in interface outside

Inbound routing for the new block will need to be handled by the modem. I believe the ASA would proxy-arp for requests to the new public address. 

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Thank you for this, could I trouble you to clarify why auto NAT would be your suggestion over manual?

For me its mainly simplicity; one can configure translations as part of network object definitions, which are added to
the configuration. Auto NAT reduces configuration complexity when only one translation policy is required for a host.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

@Alan Ng'ethe wrote:

For me its mainly simplicity; one can configure translations as part of network object definitions, which are added to
the configuration. Auto NAT reduces configuration complexity when only one translation policy is required for a host.

Thank you for your help Alan. I seem to be stuck again, so I create the network object, and when I try to set it as the type "network" and put in the IP/Subnet I get an error "The IP Address xx.xx.xx.238 does not match with netmask 30. To specify a network use xx.xx.xx.236/30. To specify a host use xx.xx.xx.238/255.255.255.255."

It does allow me to use the type "host" and the IP provided by the ISP, without a subnet. I have a feeling that it wont work that way though. 

That issue aside, I have made an auto nat rule that setup as follows - Type = Static. Original Packet source interface "Internet" (which is the WAN interface). Orginal address is the "SecondIP" object I made (which currently is the type "host" as mentioned above with JUST the WAN IP). Then I have the translated packet to destination interface "LAN" to address "internal-server". 

Does this all sound correct? the only part I am very unsure about is the network object. 

Thank you so much for your assistance. 

It does allow me to use the type "host" and the IP provided by the ISP, without a subnet. I have a feeling that it wont work that way though. 

When one uses the keyword 'host' it is presumed that the mask is an /32. This should allow one to use the object as defined, for NAT statements.

That issue aside, I have made an auto nat rule that setup as follows - Type = Static. Original Packet source interface "Internet" (which is the WAN interface). Orginal address is the "SecondIP" object I made (which currently is the type "host" as mentioned above with JUST the WAN IP). Then I have the translated packet to destination interface "LAN" to address "internal-server". 

Does this all sound correct? the only part I am very unsure about is the network object. 

Thank you so much for your assistance. 

If I am not mistaken, it seems like you're trying to use outside NAT. Could you post the output of show run | include nat and show run object

I would use the 'internal server' network object to create an Auto NAT entry in the configuration. Something like this, substituting the given IPs and ports with those you're using:

object network inside-server-public
host 2.2.2.10

object network inside-server
host 192.168.2.20
nat (inside,outside) static inside-server-public service tcp 443 443

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card