NAT over iBGP

net.curious
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need your help.

I need to implement NAT over iBGP. 

Here is the scenario.

In my network, my provider is providing me a psysical link with a /30 (1.1.1.0/30) Public Network (Primary)

For redunduncy i have asked one more psysical link with a second /30 (2.2.2.0/30) Public Network (Secondary)

My LAN (x.x.x.x/24) going out the Internet using NAT. I have already set up ispSLA setup, and with success, when the one link fails, then the router reroutes the traffic through the other link.

The problem is that my ISP, provides me another /24 (3.3.3.0/24) public network for some special purpose via a static route. When the primary link is down then i am loosing that /24 network. 

My ISP, have asked to set up iBGP on my router. 

How can i set up then NAT over iBGP?

Thanks and Regards,

2 Replies 2

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why is it that when the primary link goes down you lose the 3.3.3.0/24 network? Is it because the ISP is only statically routing to you on the primary link? If so, I don't understand why they couldn't put a weighted static on the secondary link that would only take effect if the primary link failed.

Aside from that, I'm not understanding your question about setting up NAT over IBGP. If you peer with the ISP and that would most likely be EBGP. It would be across the ISP connection and NAT would not come into play.

Hope this makes some sense and feel free to provide additional input.

Hello,

I am also not really clear on what you mean by 'losing' the 3.3.3.0/24 network. Can you post the configuration of your router ? My first thought is to use a non-exist/advertise map to announce the 3.3.3.0/24 network when the primary network is lost. Not sure if that what would solve your problem...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card