Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NATs, PATs, and ACLs - which do I need?

I have some devices (RFID Readers) on their own subnet inside my private network that need to be able communicate with an outside company on a specific UDP port and another specific TCP port. I am trying to configure this on my firewall usinf ASDM.
I have created ACL’s that I think are correct for allowing the ports to communicate on the subnet.
Using ASDM, I have tried to create a Dynamic NAT using a pool of addresses, which didn’t work. So, I tried making a PAT which didn’t work.
I’m used to making Static NATs.
I’m getting confused because I want to use a handful of addresses on a particular subnet.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Are you already using NAT on the firewall(s)

Is this a single ASA or dual ASA HA

Running single or multiple contexts in routed or transparent mode?

Could you post

-interface names  (inside/outside)

- internal external addressing/port numbers

or the running configuration if applicable ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

PAT, in theory, should work, as it translates all ports. Provided of course that you are allowing these ports back into your firewall.

Can you post the running config of your ASA and indicate which UDP and TCP port are required ?

Hello

Are you already using NAT on the firewall(s)

Is this a single ASA or dual ASA HA

Running single or multiple contexts in routed or transparent mode?

Could you post

-interface names  (inside/outside)

- internal external addressing/port numbers

or the running configuration if applicable ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, we already have a NAT to the outside world.

We have dual ASA HA in routed mode.

Let me see about supplying the information for the other questions.

Your questions lead me to see that I needed and ACL for the reverse direction.  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card