cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need a ppoe expert that can help

natalg123
Level 1
Level 1

I am am about to get my ccna so i know basic configuration. I been configuring routers for about 8 years now but not cisco routers. I just bought an adsl wic and it has an rj11 phone interface. I wasnt expecting that. I need to know how does a dsl modem connect to this router or if it does at all.usually wall jack to modem and than rj45 to router, but now i am a bit confused. with cisco routers do they go from wall jack to router bypassing modem? how is this if so. I have bellsouth, i need help configuring my router. I just dont want to know the answer but sources on what each command that i need to put in means such as dialer etc. I know how to configure ppp isdn etc but ccna doesnt even touch on ppoe configs. appreciate the help

jorge natal

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The ADSL wic is nothing but a modem. It has a built in phone port to which the phone line can be directly connected. Typically, the CPE (DSL modem) is provided by the service provider and then you can run an RJ45 cable from DSL modem to the router. But Cisco's wic can be used in situations where you want to just manage one box, compared to managing 2 boxes. Also if the router has a direct connection to the DSL line, tracking the DSL interface status is easy, compared to using an external DSL modem via ethernet interface.

You can find various sample configs here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk819/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card