cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a Suggestion to configure iBGP or Not between 2 nexus switches with vPC environment

azizur-rahman
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,
I have a confusion to configure BGP in my network. I have 2 nexus switches and they will be connected with MPLS router. There will be vPC between 2 nexus switches and eBGP will be configured between nexus switches and MPLS routers. No other dynamic or static routing protocol would be configured. HSRP would be configured in nexus switches. 

My confusion is that I am configuring vPC between 2 nexus switches, is it necessary to configure iBGP between 2 nexus switches or not? When I configure the vPC, then 2 switches will be a single switch logically. If iBGP is needed, please mention the reason.

Please find the attachment of the network.

Thanks...

5 Replies 5

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Your vPC is on the south side. You should configure iBGP between Nexus switches. Why? Because: If you shutdown eBGP from one of the switches that is master HSRP, you will lose external connectivity.

HTH.

Dear Rise,

Is there any way except iBGP? If iBGP is mandatory then is any additional separate link required or vPC peer links are enough? Any dynamic routing protocol like ospf should be configured?

Thanks  

Dear Rise,

If I perform object tracking like below:

witch# configure terminal

switch(config)# track 1 interface ethernet 2/2 line-protocol

switch(config)# interface ethernet 1/2

switch(config-if)# hsrp 2

switch(config-if-hsrp)# track 1 decrement 20

switch(config-if-hsrp)# copy running-config startup-config

Is iBGP is needed if I use object tracking????

Thanks....

BGP routes could be withdrawn while the line is still up. 

Can you track on routes being learned?

Thanks.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"When I configure the vPC, then 2 switches will be a single switch logically."

No, they are still two logical devices. VSS makes two L3 switches into one logical switch.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card