Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice for choosing 8-16 ports Ethernet (L3) module for Cisco 2921 router

Alen Danielyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Because of poor CPU performance and restrictions of applying QoS policies (including shaping and policing) on the VLAN interfaces created on integrated L2 switch ports, we have to change our Cisco 1811 routers in HQ to 2921 model.

The latter has only 2 Ethernet WAN ports. We need 8-16 additional L3 ports.

Can anyone advise which module to buy if the criterions are: normal L3 interfaces on which any policy could be applied and minimal price (Fast ethernet is ok, no need for Gigabit). It could also bee an old model for older routers compatible with the new ones.

I need the cheapest 8-16 ports L3 100Base-TX module for 2921 router.

Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

1. HWIC-D-9ESW - This is a Layer 2 switch that hits L3 at an SVI.  It works the same as your 1811 did

2. NM-16ESW - Same for this module

3. NME-16ES-1G - This module is a Catalyst 3750 on a blade.  It can do L3 ports, but only as a switch.  You won't be able to apply any routing features to the L3 interfaces

4. SM-ES3-16-P - This is a Catalyst 3560 on a blade.  Same restrictions as above

In general, an ISR is not deosgned to support this many L3 ethernet interfaces.  What you are looking for is an aggregation router and you'll need to be in an ASR1000 for that kind of scalability

View solution in original post

Yes the HWIC-2FE provides 2 fully functional routed ports

The NM requires an adapter. Functionality between the two cards is the same.

8 Replies 8

Alen Danielyan
Level 1
Level 1

After some reading I have a little list of modules:

1. HWIC-D-9ESW

2. NM-16ESW

3. NME-16ES-1G

4. SM-ES3-16-P

As I understand from the documentation the last one is fully functional L3 module, number 3. is likely L3 (not sure, need clarification) and number 1. and 2. are simple L2 switches. Am I right?

So I have to choose between 4. (almost 1500$) and (may be) 3.(near 1000$)?

Does any cheaper solution exist?

1. HWIC-D-9ESW - This is a Layer 2 switch that hits L3 at an SVI.  It works the same as your 1811 did

3. NME-16ES-1G - This module is a Catalyst 3750 on a blade.  It can do L3 ports, but only as a switch.  You won't be able to apply any routing features to the L3 interfaces

4. SM-ES3-16-P - This is a Catalyst 3560 on a blade.  Same restrictions as above

In general, an ISR is not deosgned to support this many L3 ethernet interfaces.  What you are looking for is an aggregation router and you'll need to be in an ASR1000 for that kind of scalability

jweather wrote:

Thank you for the information!

What about HWIC-2FE? Can its ports work like the routers WAN native interfaces?

If yes, then I'll buy one HWIC-2FE (I'll try to connect all my QoS connections via only 4 WAN interfaces) and one HWIC-D-9ESW for all connections which doesn't need QoS.

P.S.

1- and 2-Port Fast Ethernet High-Speed WAN Interface Cards

The following features are not supported on the Fast Ethernet HWICs:

• Cisco Interswitch Link (ISL) tagging

• Connectivity fault management (CFM)

Flow control

• Online insertion and removal (OIR)

Isn't QoS, policing and shaping a type of flow control?

Yes the HWIC-2FE provides 2 fully functional routed ports

Thank you very much!

This case is closed.

Dear jweather

I am making an order, I decided to take also one HWIC-D-9ESW. Now I mentioned its price is close to the NM-16ESW price.

Can you please confirm NM-16ESW has the same functionality as HWIC-D-9ESW (as you said: "It works the same as your 1811 did")?

And one more question: do we need any special adapter to use  HWIC-D-9ESW or NM-16ESW in Cisco 2921 router?

Thank you.

The NM requires an adapter. Functionality between the two cards is the same.

Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: