cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advise how to transport a T1 across MPLS

oahuoahu1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a L3VPN MPLS core connecting several sites.  each site has one or more T1s connecting into a Cisco ISR 4331 with a nim-4mft-T1/E1 card.   My question is how to transport that T1 to another site over the MPLS core?   We are just trying to find the easiest and most cost effective solution to connect two T1s over an MPLS core.  I know about Circuit emulation, but I don't think our equipment supports this.  Is there another way?

We have successfully done a TDM T1 from PBX to another PBX across the MPLS using two SIP trunks, but we would rather not have to deal with dial-peers.

Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Hello,

the only way I can think of is to use some sort of pseudowire/x-connect configuration. Does your equipment support the 'pseudowire-class' command ?

I think it does, but I have never configured pseudowire.

Hello,

post the running configs of both ISR routers so I can fill in the bits and pieces, that is the easiest way to check if it works.

varungautam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Could you plz share how you have achieved as i have a same scenario E1>>>MPLS>>>E1.

Please share some insite.

Thanks in advance

Is this for a data or a voice T1? If it is voice, you can use CCS frame forwarding. Configuring and Troubleshooting Transparent CCS

What that does is create nailed up voice dial peers (with voice activity detection to save bandwidth), but carries the signalling channel as a bit stream. I have used that to tie together various kinds of traditional PBX links that had a proprietary common signalling channel protocol.

If it is data, then some kind of pseudo wire might work. Then again, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? There might be another way to do it.

Hai Elliot,

Firstly thanks for reply 

To bring more clarity here is the scenario

----------E1 + RS232 + RS485 ---------------> ASR903(MPLS PE1) == MPLS CLOUD======ASR903(PE2) -----E1+232+485---

SO on PE1 has inputs as E1 , RS 232 , RS 485  == going to MPLS CLOUD == and we want traffic flow at PE2.

or we can look at this as :

TDM NETWORKS>>>>>MPLS >>>>>TDM Networks (tdm over mpls)

Certain services like Scada / voice and data has to be transmitted to PE2 having source as PE1

main hassle here is the input is signal based traffic and going with CEM what all dependencies are involved including conf.(IOS XR).

Its kinda a complex thing am stuck on and looking for some assistance/guidelines 

Hello,

I have seen TDM Pseudowires, not sure this is what you need, but Cisco has a series of short videos on YouTube on how to set this up on the 903, check it out, maybe it helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47QUOaPnG64

Is the E1 input voice? If so, does it have a common signaling channel, or just channelized T1?

I did something way way back to auto-connect serial port over telnet connections. That could probably work for the RS-232 connections. I have never used RS-485, so I don't know what to say there. I don't know if Cisco has a native RS-485 port.

You mention these inputs are to the PE router. I would think you would have to do this kind of encapsulation in a CE router unless your provider is willing to do some unusual customization.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card