cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help solving performance issue

joe.groess
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco 2900 series routers on both sides of a Metro Ethernet Circuit. We have purchased 200MBPS of bandwidth, to transfer data from one SAN to another.

Looking at my SAN, I am sending data at about 50MBPS. I called my provider, and they confirmed that I am only using 25% of the bandwidth I purchased.

The interfaces are gigabit interfaces, so I've limited those interfaces to 200MBPS to keep from overloading the circuit. But obviously, there is another configuration issue somewhere that is preventing me from getting all that I need.

I'm looking for help on where to turn to try and locate my configuration issues.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

so I've limited those interfaces to 200MBPS

What happens if you don't rate limit the interface to 200Mbps?

Do you get more then 50Mbps?

not sure, will be testing stuff tonight.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

whats the frame size coming off the SAN ?

I'm a bit concerned about this since the SAN and local network is configured for jumbo frames, but I have no real control over frame size when it leave my network.

I'm open to ideas on how to address this.

Thats where i was headed. SANS tend to be different animals.

is your link between site routed ?

Maybe there is some means to make it Layer 2 all the way, and get something in place to handle jumbo frames.

It is routed. But the metro ethernet is almost bridge like. But even if that was the case, I still would need Century Link to configure those switches and other devices to use jumbo frames, and I'm not sure that is an option.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What model 2900 and what's the CPU look like when you top out at 50 Mbps?

From your later posting, if you're dealing with jumbo Ethernet and your WAN connection doesn't support it, it's possible your 2900 is fragmenting packets which can be very adverse to its performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card