cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need some help with 2621 router

rickwhittington
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I will first apologize for my ignorance since I am new to this. I am putting together some lab equipment for some hands on with regards to my ccna and future ccnp. I have purchased a cisco 2621 with 2 serial wic-1t cards with the standard aux and console port on the back. It also has an additional token port on the back but no ethernet port. I have also 3 1924 switches with aui ports on the back. I wanted to know what i would need or what i could do to get what i have currently to:

A: get my 2621 to connect to my motorala cable modem

b: connect to my switches

If someone could help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

I am a bit surprised at your description of the 2621 as having 2 serial T1 cards and a token port. I had not been aware that there was a Token Ring only version but apparently there is. And that is quite a challenge for you. There is not a direct or easy way to go from Token Ring to Ethernet. And both your a) connect to cable modem and b) connect to 1924 switches need Ethernet.

I believe that the 2621 generally came with a Network Module slot. Does your router have a Network Module slot? If it does then you could try to get an Ethernet module to insert. This would allow one or perhaps both of your connection requirements. But without the extra module I do not see any good way to connect your Token Ring router to either the cable modem or to the 1924 switches.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

If you would like I can send you some pictures of the router that I have maybe I am mistaken since I am new to this.

Thanks

Rick

Rick

Perhaps some pictures would be helpful in verifying what you have. But my post was not intended to suggest that you were incorrect but just to express surprise. There is mention that there was a version of the 2621 which had Token Ring and not Ethernet.

Also if you can connect to the console port of the router and establish a console connection, then you should be able to do a show version command. If you post the output of show version from the router it should clarify what interfaces the router has.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card