cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network communication reference model

Reshma Raje
Level 1
Level 1

Got confused after reading some articles recently... Has the OSI reference model become obsolete and has been superseded by the TCP/IP reference model? Can someone please help with the facts??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found the book Interconnections:Bridges and Routers by Radia Perlman to be very helpful and would suggest you read it. Also Routing TCP/IP volume 1 by Jeff Doyle has a good discussion that might help you. And for a really deep dive you should read RFC 1122.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would not say that the OSI model is obsolete. It is a bit older than the TCP/IP model. But both of them present valid ways to understand network functionality as you separate the functions into layers. The OSI model gives more attention to functionality in the upper layers where the TCP/IP model just says that anything above the Transport layer is an Applications function.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Rick... Feel privileged to have a VIP and Founder member of Hall of Fame responding... 

Any reading share, that will help me deep dive in this topic?

I found the book Interconnections:Bridges and Routers by Radia Perlman to be very helpful and would suggest you read it. Also Routing TCP/IP volume 1 by Jeff Doyle has a good discussion that might help you. And for a really deep dive you should read RFC 1122.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card