Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Infrastructure for new small office

eddie.sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Our company is opening up a new small office right down the street from us and I've been lucky enough to help set up the network.  Currently at most of our location we use MPLS for data traffic and use an internet circuit strictly for the internet.  These locations are throughout the US over the WAN.  This new location however is literally 1 block away so I would like to pick your brains to see what is the best way to connect our HQ office (down the street) to this location but still be on a new subnet.   Can we connect the two via Fiber?  I know it can be done but not sure if it makes sense being that we'd be using an Adtran router for MPLS connected to a switch and then an ASA for the internet.  

I was thinking of purchasing two or three Cisco Catalyst 3850 's and stacking them.  In our HQ office we have a Cisco 4506-e core switch.   Would it make sense to connect these via 10G Uplink (fiber)? 

Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Miller
Level 1
Level 1

There are numerous options, but I feel fiber would be the way to go if it is possible.  To save costs, I would not use a layer 3 connection, just a layer 2 connection to the new site down the street.  

HQ Office switch (fiber)---------------(fiber) New office switch

If you have fiber, I personally would not get the MPLS & internet connections at that office and that would be a huge cost savings.  All vlans can come off your 4506 core switch, just create new vlans for the new office.

As for bandwidth, I am not sure of your bandwidth needs, but you can easily get a gig out of the fiber.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

eddie.sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Miller
Level 1
Level 1

There are numerous options, but I feel fiber would be the way to go if it is possible.  To save costs, I would not use a layer 3 connection, just a layer 2 connection to the new site down the street.  

HQ Office switch (fiber)---------------(fiber) New office switch

If you have fiber, I personally would not get the MPLS & internet connections at that office and that would be a huge cost savings.  All vlans can come off your 4506 core switch, just create new vlans for the new office.

As for bandwidth, I am not sure of your bandwidth needs, but you can easily get a gig out of the fiber.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco