Views
Helpful
Replies

Network redesign: ASA outside interface redesign and more... PHASE1

josuperez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have few questions. I am redesigning our network for a number of reasons, but it is a bit difficult and I need some help :)

Right now out ASA is doing both firewalling and intervlan routing:

Present design: INTERNET ------ ISP modem ------ L2_core_switch ------ Cisco ASA

|

|

L2 access switch

Cisco ASA does NAT, Intervlanrouting... etc.

ISPmodem to L2_core_switch is access vlan 10

L2_core_switch to Cisco ASA is access vlan 10

ASA conf:

interface Vlan10
 nameif Outside
 security-level 0
 ip address 212.186.555.122 255.255.255.252 (fake public ip address)

interface Ethernet0/0
 description to L2_core_switch Fa0/2
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10 (I believe is an access vlan, maching the switch configuration)

interface Vlan20
 nameif Lan1
 security-level 50
 ip address 10.1.20.254 255.255.255.0

interface Vlan50
nameif WLAN
 security-level 50
 ip address 10.1.50.254 255.255.255.0

PHASE 1 design: INTERNET ------ ISP modem ------ Cisco ASA ------L2_core_switch

|

|

L2 access switch

To begin I just want to move the ASA to be in front of the ISP modem without a L2 switch in between.

As far as I am concern, I would need to:

• change the cable coming from the ISP modem to the Cisco ASA 0/0
  • I think that Vlan10 and et0/0 configuration on the ASA should remain untoched
  • I think that Vlan10 and et0/0 configuration on the Switch Fa0/2 should aldo remain untoched
  • SUMMARY: If I change the order of the devices, as I am always using ACCESS VLAN 10, it should just work

Future design to be addressed later on: INTERNET ------ ISP modem ------ Cisco ASA ------ L3 switch

|

|

L2 access switch

There will come more phases ASAP, but this is a good start :D:D:D

thanks a lot,

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not agree when you say "I think that Vlan10 and et0/0 configuration on the ASA should remain untoched ". In your current environment your Eth0/0 is a trunk carrying a couple of VLANs. If you change the environment and the ASA Eth0/0 is now connected to the ISP modem then Eth0/0 needs to be configured as a simple access port and not as a trunk. The interface of the ASA that connects to the layer 2 switch (which you have not identified for us) would need to be configured as a trunk.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card