cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Routing Questions

Cybervex3
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a bit of advice here on my proposed network layout.  I have three race trailers and one pit cart. Usually 2 of the three trailers and the pit cart attend a race, although all three occasionally attend.

My needs:

• Routing between all four locations.
  • All four locations need Internet access
  • Router should do DNS and DHCP for each location/subnet.
  • Should a satellite go down another route will be etablished via the remaining satellites.
  • During races the pit cart is out of wireless range of the trailers and a P2P is setup.

Is this possible with the use 4 of the 871 router or 881?  It is preferred not to use the wireless between the 4 routers.

I just want to make sure this is doable before buying 4 routers and switches.

TrackNetwork.jpg

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is certainly possible to do that. Do you intend to try youself, or use a reputable consultant or certified Cisco partner? Because the first option often leads to aggravation and lack of good results.

I plan on causing myself much aggravation. Hopefully this will help in my studies for post CCNA certifications.

The part that I am confused with is the DNS on the 881 routers. From what I have read so far the router can do DNS for the DHCP addresses it hands out. Each trailer will have approx. 10 laptops max at one time, normally less. I need the laptops to be able to plug in to any trailer, get a new IP via DHCP for that subnet, and be able to connect to any other laptop by name.  Are the 871 or 881 routers able to exchange DNS info with each other to accomplish this or do I need to have at least one DNS server when the trailers are all connected?

Any help with this would be greatly apprciated.

Routers do not exchange DNS information.

However with Windows networking, computer names are automatically bound to IP address when the PC logs to the Domain. Even if not using a Domain, there are mechanisms that ensure the propagation of names and other information.

Consequently you will be able to refer to PCs by names without the router taking any action.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card