cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New ISR4221 asking for username and password

tbyers0
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a new lab bundle containing Cisco ISR4221 routers. However, when they boot, they are asking for a username and password. The defaults of admin and cisco do not work. No problem I think, boot it into rommon mode and tell it to ignore startup configuration. Now it boots into user exec and I can get into privileged exec however, when I try and enter global configuration mode, it tells me command not supported in this mode. I then tried running setup. This allows me to go in and set the enable and enable secret passwords, but when I reload and boot back into the startup configuration, it again asks me for a username and password. I am at a loss, I have never had a router act like this.

31 Replies 31

Thank you, i will waitting my ditributor. When i do it if have problem i contact you again.

Hi,

Try with Username: admin, Password: default

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks for your support.

And I want to know how to changes to get it to boot to the IOS on the system flash drive? Pls help me

@tbyers0Pls help me.

The command to boot to the flash drive while in rommon is:

boot usbflash0: <system image file name>

to see what is on the usb drive, the command is:

dir usbflash0:

to boot from a different image file on the system flash the command is:

boot bootflash: <system image file name>

to see what other IOS images are stored in flash the command is:

dir bootflash:

The colons are important in the commands. Without them the system won’t search the directories.

can you share your step for booting by flash drive in rommon mode?

The command to boot to the flash drive while in rommon is:

boot usbflash0: <system image file name>

to see what is on the usb drive, the command is:

dir usbflash0:

to boot from a different image file on the system flash the command is:

boot bootflash: <system image file name>

to see what other IOS images are stored in flash the command is:

dir bootflash:

The colons are important in the commands. Without them the system won’t search the directories.

I have just received a batch of new 4221 ISRs and have had the same problem.  I got around it the same way you did by booting from a USB flash drive and erasing the bootflash: and copying the new IOS and Package files for the NIM module to the bootflash: and reloaded the router.  Once it found the IOS after 3 tries it boots normally and loads the firmware drivers for the NIM modules.  This still does not answer the original question, why cant I enter configuration mode?  I have searched the Cisco site and cant find any reference to it anywhere.

I received this response to one of my posts, maybe this will help understand why.

Hi tbyers0,

Andre Scheepers (Beginner) posted a new reply in Routing<> on 02-21-2019 04:36 AM

I opened a TAC for this. Seems to be image related. Image loaded is for SD-WAN deployments, which apparently locks the global configuration mode.

I downloaded the recommended IOS-XR image and booted from usb0: via rommon. Problem resolved.

Try downloading the standard image and see if that fixes your problem. 

Sorted :).

Thanks, That's basically what I did. I deleted the old image file and replaced it with the new one. I was wondering why it did what it did, Now I know. However that configuration is not what I asked for so it should not have happened.

On a different note I was trying to set up one of the new routers in the lab for CCP access (v3.5.3).  Apparently it is not supported on 4221 routers.  Does anyone know how to access the routers via a web interface.  there is a file system webui: with loads of files in it but I cant access this interface.

Any suggestions?

Are you still using the IOS it was shipped with? I had downloaded and installed the standard IOS from Cisco and was able to access the WebUI using these instructions.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010101.pdf

I have the same issue with an ISR4321 running IOS 16.9.2. Does anyone know if Cisco has acknowledged this and has provided an "official" solution to this? Thanks in advance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card