Views
Helpful
Replies

New Nexus Installation

yog19812003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We are installing Nexus switch to upgrade backbone performance from 1 Gig to 10 Gig. There will be both LAN (Vmware) and SAN traffic going through this switch. Need to know your suggestions on the same. The nexus will connect to existing L3 core switch and VMs / Storage will connect to Nexus 10 Gig 3064. Attached is the proposed architecture.

I need to know about Jumbo frames. While testing we saw lot of jumbo frames in VPC statistics. The default value is set to 1500 mtu.

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi we have a SAN connected to our 7/5/2K setup we have Jumbo frames enabled i would advise it if your using a SAN as below an example from one of my ints, here is what you would need in terms of config , multicast-optimize is optional we just have it set because of our traffic types

ESX/ESXi supports an MTU size of 9000-bytes

Thanks for your reply. But can you help on which interfaces to enable Jumbo frames. I mean to ask can I apply above MTU qos to individual interface or it can be applied globally only. I'm afraid what if the other end interface does not support MTU of 9000. Will it impact performance? 

As per attached diagram, I have marked interface with "Mtu 9000". Please check is it correct or not.

Also, I want you to verify whole nexus config before we make it live in production.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card