cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to 1941W K9 IRS

josh.mayo
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a 1941W K9 IRS to provide a secure and reliable mobile network for 36 PCs.

I'm having issues configuring the router, however.

After hours with technical support, I've finally gotten the SSID to broadcast, but wireless clients fail to connect, and wired clients are not given an IP address from DHCP.

I am able to to connect through GE 0/0 with my Desktop statically set to configure the router, but even after configuring my ISP connect to test it, I have no Internet acces either. The IP addresses provided by my ISP are all dynamic.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

fabios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Joshua,

from what you say I believe you are rther new to Cisco and IOS.

You say that wireless client fail to connect and wired do not recive configuration from DHCP. Did you configure DHCP?

In IOS each and every feature needs to be configured and enabled. The routers out of the box are in paperweight mode.

The folowing is a good starting point:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10591/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

and for your specific question

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/configuration/guide/iad_dhcp_rdmp_ps10591_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

If from one of those pages you selecte a .pdf link and download a whole book:

Cisco IOS IP Addressing Services Configuration Guide PDF, Release 15.0

In the introduction you will get a primer of command line interface and commands.

If you are unfamiliar with Router system management a must read is this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/15_0/cf_15_0_book.html

Hope this helps

Fabio

(pls rate useful posts and mark answered questions it helps others find answers)

Fabios,

Thanks! I gave this a read, and put me a step closer. However, I'm still having the same issues. I'll post the show run for my AP and for the Router itself. Should I include the show ip in brief for both as well??

Joshua,

We can give it a try but at the end you are responsible to configure the equipment.

Remember to baseline with an IP configuration before adding features.

You also need to have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve:

-do you have a public IP space?

-do you need NAT?

-how do you connect to the Internet?

Before configuring DHCP, see if a statically configured wired PC can access the router and the Internet (ping and telnet to the router and www.google.com). If cannot access the internet see if DNS resolution works (type ping www.google.com and see if the PC comes up with the IP for google.

Generally these discussions are about a single issue or feature if you need help in configuring a network and you feel out of your dept is better to have an engineer on site.

I did not see your config. If you post it please make sure you do not include sensitive info (passwords public IP's).

Also a network topology would be needed.

Cheers

Fabio

Fabio,

I'm looking at having 36 wireless clients connected to this router, each getting internet connect from a cable modem providing a bandwidth of 50mbps. So a NAT will be required.

I've configured the router IP address from 10.10.10.1 to 10.15.15.1 and I connect to it with my desktop with an IP of 10.15.15.2.

I can telnet into the router through PuTTY, but when I plug in the ethernet cable from my modem into gig0/1, I do not have internet access. I manually configured the DNS servers on my computer to the same ones I use when I connect the internet connection I have here through my home router.

I'll get those config files settings uploaded ASAP.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

please also post a show ip interface brief and a show interface gigabitethernet 0/1

The network numbering you are using is not lined up to the the righ bit bundaries and a huge number of hosts.

Let's start with 10.0.0.0/24 (which is 10.0.0.0-10.0.0.255).

Assign 10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 to the router Gi0/0

add an ip nat inside to Gi0/0

with you cable provider probably you need to use PPPoE on Gi0/1:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Used for PPPoE client toward ISP

no ip address

pppoe enable group global

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

interface Dialer1

mtu 1490

ip address negotiated

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly in

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

The physical interface is configured for PPPoE while the logical interface will connect and negotiate an IP. the two are tied together by the dial-pool-number/dialer pool statement

also you need to fix routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer 1

and nat

ip nat source list 125 interface dialer 1

with acess list 125

permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 any

then do another sh ip int brief and a show ip route

This should bring you up on the Internet. Try ping 8.8.8.8 from the router console/vty.

Then configure your wired desktop with

ip 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

default gateway 10.0.0.1

dns 8.8.8.8 (or wathever your ISP sees fit)

and see if it works

Fabio

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card