newbie question: how to change 'enable' password and 'telnet' login password

martinnitramwc
Level 1
Level 1

after googled i found this

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/80/change-the-enable-password-on-a-cisco-router/

config t

enable secret PaSsWoRd

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/460/configure_cisco_switch_telnet_login_password/

line vty 0 15

password keepout

login

the 'enable' one seem work fine, but the 'telnet' login one, i found two lines for 'line vty' from 'show running-config'

line vty 0 4

password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

login

transport input telnet

line vty 5 15

password 7 yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

login

transport input telnet

so, which line related to 'telnet' login password?

Thank

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're line vty 0 4 is going to be the first one hit. You can usually delete line vty 5 15...

HTH,

John

Please rate helpful posts

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

Don't worry. You just need to make sure that your password is correct. You properly connect to line vty 0 first. You can also connect to this device via concurrent connections.

Router just splits it as you see.

HTH,

Toshi

Thank blakley and Thotsaphon for quick reply.

I wanna to ask that what is the meaning of vty 5 15? vty 0 x mean the first telnet login connection?

just want to make sure that both command correct. otherwise can't login the router again.

Hi,

They are vty line. Router just shows you that way. You may want to use SSH for vty 5 - 15. It depends on what you design. You might somehow connect to vty 5 someday. You just need to make sure that your password is correct.

HTH,

Toshi

martin martin wrote:

Thank blakley and Thotsaphon for quick reply.

I wanna to ask that what is the meaning of vty 5 15? vty 0 x mean the first telnet login connection?

just want to make sure that both command correct. otherwise can't login the router again.

Older versions of IOS allocated only 5 "terminal" lines for telnet connections - VTY 0 - 4

"Modern" versions of IOS allocate 16 "terminal" lines for telnet connections - VTY 0 - 15.

They are separated into two groups in your configurations to allow for backward compatibility - you can cut and paste a configuration from an "old" IOS into a "modern" IOS and it'll still work.

Simply duplicate the statements you have for lines 0 - 4 for the rest. Depending on the switch/router model, you can either do

line vty 0 15

login

password keepout

transport input telnet

or

line vty 0 4

login

password keepout

transport input telnet

line vty 5 15

login

password keepout

transport input telnet

If you're NOT running encrypted passwords, then the displaying the passwords should be the same. if, however, you have encryption on passwords (the command "service password-encryption" in your active configuration), the same plain text password can be encrypted with two different results.

The folowing lines

username fred1 privilege 15 password 7 110F0B001343

username fred2 privilege 15 password 7 121F1712165A

contain the same password - yet the result is different. You can check this by putting the passwords (the but after the password 7 section) into the following web page

http://www.ibeast.com/content/tools/CiscoPassword/index.asp

and you'll see the same answer for the decrypted password.

So, the answer to your original question is - you probably have the same password for lines 0-4 as you do for lines 5-15 - it's just encrypted differently.

Cheers.

Thank all info, i will try to do soon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card